Have you been asked for your AOW Card or Log Book?

I have been asked for an AOW card or Log Book

• Rarely

Votes: 73 58.4%
  • Occationally

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • Often

Votes: 24 19.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't recall ever being asked for my logs except for once by an instructor I had never worked with before.

I've only been asked for a C-card at Dutch Springs and on a few dive trips outside the US (well the libility release forms for boat dives want a c-card number, but noone actualy asked to see the physical card as long as you had the number written down).

I prety much always get tank fills at the same LDS so they never bother me about cards.

IMO, and AOW card does not prove much. Five dives, one deep plus four to get the OW, nine total. Dive operators who are concerned about skill levels should be looking at logbooks, not AOW cards. If they want to treat a cert card as a passport it should be DM or higher. We are talking about supervising a recreational activity of adults, not children. Besides, the boat operators all have releases.

but no one has ever wanted to see a logbook.

I'm having a hard time reconciling the variance - it seems that folks are falling into two categories: those that never get asked and those that always get asked.

In the past year I have been to Bonaire, North Carolina, Michigan, Missouri, Florida (a couple of times), Ontario (a couple of times), Wisconsin (a bunch of times) and in my back yard here around Chicago as well as downstate. The only time that I am not asked for my card is at places that know me well and where I've been recently. I'd be concerned if a dive shop DIDN'T ask for my card - it's an indicator of poor procedures.

The only requests I've had for log books has involved more than recreational dives with charters that didn't know me well. That doesn't happen often because I'm not usually comfortable doing these dives with folks that I don't know, either.

Likewise NO2 fills - because I'm known, I don't get asked by a couple of the local fill operators. I've never heard of an operator filling NO2 tanks without seeing an appropriate card and logging the fill.

Then, again, maybe they don't like me and they're just picking on me. :(

Does it bother anyone to be asked for cards or logs? I've never seen a reason to have a problem with being asked for credentials.

Steven

...and I would have serious doubts about diving with any op that did not ask.

I have also been asked to produce my nitrox card whenever I've asked for a nitrox fill. That's as it should be. I once had a chat with an instructor on a boat who told me that he has all of his OW students breathing nitrox. That's irresponsible. I wouldn't dive with that guy.

I passed over my Silver Advanced card then the woman asked to see my nitrox card.

"I'm not diving nitrox."

"We'll check your mix."

"It's not O2 clean, it's an air tank."

I had the card with me, but I could see no reason to produce a nitrox card when I'm diving air.

One of my buddies needed weight. This same woman asked him how much he weighed. Red flag!

He responded by telling her the amount of weight he needed. Before getting the weights for him, she asked him if he'd dived at night.

My question is, are more or less buoyant at night? We had a chuckle over that one.

I have been diving with a number of different operations throughout the Caribbean. They always have asked for a C card. However in 32 years of diving, not a single operator has requested to look at my log book. Until last week. I was diving with Saba Deep. They requested my log book with the explaination that they would stamp it and enter the dive locations while I was on the boat making the 3 dives of the day.
They entered this data and added the statistics from the divemasters computer.
In retrospect I believe the divemaster read each of the 6 divers logs just prior to the first dive which was to 130 fsw. The divemasters paid much closer attention to the less experienced divers than they did to me. But, make no doubt about it. This was one of the most professional operators I have been with. They kept an eye on all of us. I just felt that they gave me the freedom to fully dive my computer and pause when setting up a picture. The diving in Saba, well I thought I had died and gone to divers heaven. I will post a trip report by the weekend.

I have been asked for my c card plenty of times. The only time a charter wanted more than that was when we dove the Duane in Key Large. They wanted my log book to show I had dove in strong currents before. It didn't matter though because I have never experienced current like that before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom