Have you ever dove ZERO viz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh now and then.

I find just closing my eyes and working makes me less disoriented when in zero viz.

BTW I will simply not dive zero viz without surface coms and a hard line to the surface (preferably through a surface supply line). Doing it in recreational gear is bad juju unless you're in you bathtub that you watched fill so you know just what's in it. I just cannot imagine intentionally entering zero viz in bite reg scuba absent a true life and death emergency.

I find myself is low//no vis dive setting quite often,,,and rather enjoy the challenges it presents.

I've had to search for a cylinder in zero viz. I was informed it was at 25', but I couldn't read my guage/computer. Since both my buddy and I had air integrated we decided to search for it. Our computers were set to give the audible beep when the air supply got to 750.

In an archaeology class I've taken everyone was required to cover their mask and search for a needle at the bottom of the pool. The primary reason for this was to make everyone slow down and cover a smaller area while searching in low to zero viz. It worked, no one wanted to get pricked by the needle.

Salaam

Chris

:11: ....a pig farmer called me and said he would make it worth my effort $$$$ if I would dive in his pig pit (that's where pig manure goes to liquify then pumped out to tanker trucks or to a fertalization spraying system) His pump needed repair and it would be very costly for him to pump out the pit with another pump at that time to get to the his pump. I did a lot of research to find what that stuff would do to me or my equipment. When I called Ohio State University for some answers, and they couldn't provide any, I bowed out. Talk about zero viz!!!! He tried to talk me into it and went up to $800 to $1000 if I would do it. Sorry Charlie.

Barracuda2:
:11: ....a pig farmer called me and said he would make it worth my effort $$$$ if I would dive in his pig pit (that's where pig manure goes to liquify then pumped out to tanker trucks or to a fertalization spraying system) His pump needed repair and it would be very costly for him to pump out the pit with another pump at that time to get to the his pump. I did a lot of research to find what that stuff would do to me or my equipment. When I called Ohio State University for some answers, and they couldn't provide any, I bowed out. Talk about zero viz!!!! He tried to talk me into it and went up to $800 to $1000 if I would do it. Sorry Charlie.

EWWWW! I wouldn't do this dive in full biohazard gear. Forget $1000, start talking $20,000/min.

Kbear:
EWWWW! I wouldn't do this dive in full biohazard gear. Forget $1000, start talking $20,000/min.
Whats the matter with pig poo? Try septic tanks and sewage treatment plants. Here is a pic after a jaunt under a house looking for evidence from a tripple homocide double kidnapping. The sewer line had been broken for years and their poo went right into a pit under the house.
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/22008/cat/500/ppuser/2714 :D

You don't even want to know what you dive in sometimes without realizing it. :wink:

Gary D.

Zeeman:
Diving in zero vis - why would you do this?

Z...
Sometimes it just needs to be done.:wink:

Gary D.

but...but...but for what greater purpose???

Gary D.:
Sometimes it just needs to be done.:wink:

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom