Having a bit of a problem..help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Synerain

Reaction score
I am in the process of taking a scuba certification class right now and I can't seem to find the right fins. At first, I tried the Oceanic Vectors. I liked them and they didn't wear me out that fast but I didn't seem to be moving anywhere in the water. I traded the vectors in for Aqualung Blades which are much more stiff than the vectors. Now that I use the Aqualungs I am getting way too tired too fast. Everyone seems to be passing me when I'm swimming laps. Everyone that is passing me is also using the V-split type fins. Are these actually worth their money? I know that I'm going to have to get rid of these Aqualungs because they are too stiff for my taste. I'm considering going a step down to another oceanic fin that is supposedly softer than these aqualungs. I was just wondering if the v-split type fins are actually THAT much better.

Thanks, any info would be greatly appreciated

Fins should be comforable on your feet and neatual in the water.
Your kicking technic is most likely your problem. Most new divers try to hard. It will become second nature to you after a while.
You need to be as steam lined as possible with you gear, keep your arms to your side and kick from your hips down with almost a straight leg. Most new diver try to do a kinda kick where they look like their trying to ride a bicycle. Their head is up way above their center of gravity. All of this creates drag and causes you to work alot harder. You will find if you get all of this staightened out it won't matter what fin you use. If you don't get it down then it won't matter what fin you use.
Basicly get you trim and bouyancy and technic down and you'll be fine.
Fred

Split vs. paddle (and fins in general) seems to be one of those religious subjects and everyone will have an opinion. Undercurrent did an interesting article on fin types and features recently which can be seen at http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/articles/Fins200401.shtml. Personally I have Aqualung Blades and they're fine for me, but I think almost any name brand fin (aside from some specialty or oddball fins) that fits and is comfortable will be fine in most cases. Many will say that certain fin types are more suited to certain kicks.

Since you're just starting out, I would hazard a guess from comments like "not moving anywhere", "everyone passing me", "getting tired" it may be less an issue with fin type and more related to being new at this, finning style, need for conditioning, practice, etc. Or, you mention swimming laps - people do get tired swimming laps, but swimming laps has little in common with most real diving. It's not a race.

I own and dive a pair of Vectors and love them especially for the price. I do have to agree with everybody above that if you aren't moving something is wrong. Especially since I know that Vectors are good fins.
Split or not to split that is the (other) question. Personally I didn't care for the splits that were available at my LDS. Not to say that I will never own a pair of split fins but at least not now.

You should work your legs to get them stronger!!! Dont fix problems with equipment... Your legs aren't use to the type of workout they are getting so keep swimming----Keep your Blades...

just some advice from someone who has been dealing with this problem for 10 years now.

We have to swim approx 400 yards in under 12 minutes. Which doesn't sounds like too bad of a requirement and I am not out of shape. Could be that I am trying to kick too fast at the beginning rather than pacing myself and taking long smooth kicks from the "hip". I also have to keep up with my partner and she isn't very strong either so that could be part of the problem... who knows..I get to go back tomorrow and hopefully I can figure it out then....

Thanks

Synerain:
We have to swim approx 400 yards in under 12 minutes. Which doesn't sounds like too bad of a requirement and I am not out of shape. Could be that I am trying to kick too fast at the beginning rather than pacing myself and taking long smooth kicks from the "hip". I also have to keep up with my partner and she isn't very strong either so that could be part of the problem... who knows..I get to go back tomorrow and hopefully I can figure it out then....

Thanks
This is as likely to be a kick problem as anything else. Strength is important, as is gear, but technique plays a huge role. Check this out for some information on finning techniques.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom