Having My own air compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, basically just call local FDs and ask if they would fill a scuba-tank with 3000PSI of air for a reasonable price?....

I live in a very rural, backwards area. I went to my FD and they showed me a large, brand-new containment fill system.

"We will have to charge you five dollars per fill."

So, basically just call local FDs and ask if they would fill a scuba-tank with 3000PSI of air for a reasonable price? (My animal-brain is telling me the FD would consider that an unusual request, but I'm probably over-thinking it.) If they act confused, I guess just tell them "my scuba-buddies do it all the time, I'll pay $10/tank same as my local dive shop."

I'm about 1-hr from the nearest scuba-shop, and don't have the space for a fill-station. My backup-plan was buying a bunch more SCUBA-tanks, and just filling 6 to 8 tanks at a time. And timing my dives so I can fill, dive near the shop, and fill-again on the same day, before driving home.
Probably best to show up at the local station and chat with the guys, and then ask if they fill scuba tanks.... its really easy to say no.
But if you show some interest... .

What are the annual cost of owning your compressor, for parts and maintenance?

Can't say specifically.
But its similar to owning a motorcycle,
Sometimes its expensive other times reasonable... do you ride it every day, or only on the weekends, is it a harley or Japanese bike, and how much are you doing your self...

It's one of those things, that you do for practical and enjoyment reasons,
Most people will not save money,

Look up oil prices and filter prices for your unit. That minimum.

It is the same standard.
No, they aren't.

Depends on your setup.

Plain air compressor?

Nitrox mixer?

Oxygen analyzer?

Carbon monoxide analyzer?

Purification filters?

Can you do your own maintenance and repairs?

If you do your own work, then filters and analyzer sensors are going to be your biggest annual costs.

Probably best to show up at the local station and chat with the guys, and then ask if they fill scuba tanks.... its really easy to say no.
But if you show some interest... .
A box of doughnuts might lubricate the conversation

My 1st year (2020) it cost me roughly $4000. That's compressor, cascade system with 13 banks, fill panel, extra filter tower, and misc fittings. Mostly bought wheeling and dealing / used / traded, etc. Year 2021 through 22 I bought 2 filters @ $54/filter. They last me about ~ 18 months (still have one unopened, vacuum sealed). This year is the next biggest thing with rebuilding both top and bottom end, and I'll have about ~ $400 invested by the time I'm done... but (fingers crossed) I won't have to do that again for a long time. The rebuild should net me at least 300 hours on the unit (minimum), which equates to ~ 90,000cf of gas.

Even if you said it's $5000 (but that also covers the next ~ 5 years) it would break down for me to be ~ $550/yr.. but if you take into account I could sell the whole thing and get my money back... well I don't know if you factor that in or not? And I don't drive round trip to the LDS, I don't drop off for nitox anymore, I don't pay for VIP's or O2 cleanings. I don't even pay for the diesel to run the thing to pump air, and I only pay .12 cents a cf for O2.

I dive WAY more with a compressor then I ever would without (and I think that's really the point). At least weekly or even twice weekly vs the once a month before. The convenience should be a really close 2nd to the overall cost. I'd say anyone with a little mechanical skill could pull it off. Pumping 5cf/m out here in God's country and diving the same day... it's priceless.

It's really a loaded question, could look at it all kinds of different ways... and if my compressor ever breaks I'll probably come on here to cry about it and say it was the dumbest decision ever!!!

A box of doughnuts might lubricate the conversation
Pizza worked great in my area!

Back
Top Bottom