head gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jon m

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hey all-
anyone know where i can get a cap or something to keep my wifes hair out of her face while diving? what do other "long hairs" use???
thanks!

thanks- we have hoods for our cold water diving, looking for something for warm water and maybe to wear under the hood in cold water. the only thing we could find is a plastic(yuk!) swimmers cap. kinda looking for something a little more stylish (because stylish is always best, yes??) :)

How about a rubber band?

in warm water, a thin beanie is nice. No so constraining as a full hood but adds a little warmth and helps with the hair. Like a bathing cap but neoprene. Or some people wear do-rag type things.

Diving without a pony tail braid and some sort of hair cap is rather thoroughly annoying to me. I go with a two-pronged approach, myself. Most importantly, *always* (and I do mean *always*) dive with a braided ponytail. (I spent most of a night working an nest out of my head once, and that was enough.)

The other part is always dive with a head covering. If it's cold water, I dive with a nice, thick hood. For warm water, I use the cheapest beanie I could find ($15 at Scuba.com). It doesn't feel a bit hot or heavy, and it's completely un-hood-like in that there's no restriction at all. Most usefully, it keeps what hair is not in the ponytail braid out of my face. (It also protects the ears if there are cute little man-eating fishies out there. :biggrin:)

If even that was just too much, there's always the foodservice-and-bank-robbery concept. Either use a tight-fitting hair net or some nylons-type material (like those head socks that NFL players sometimes wear under their helmets).

(By the way, if you haven't seen me in person or in photos, when I let my hair down, it's about waist length or possibly a bit longer. I imagine that's long enough to classify myself as one of those long hairs. :biggrin:)

ScubaDoRag and a ponytail elastic works pretty good. A thin beenie. My beenie is a 2 or 3mm and I have never gotten hot in it, even diving in Bonaire in June. There are probably thinner ones available. Both work well to keep hair in control and not tangled up in the mask strap. The scuba dorag is lycra instead of cotton so it stretches. Also comes in lots of patterns. (ScubaDoRag™.com)

Hair Management was the most difficult skill for me to learn. My solution is light weight hoodie made by Aeroskin. I felt like an idiot here in HI with a hood but it is not neoprene. I use a 3ml wetsuit and cannot imagine that much on my head. This hoodie has not been too warm – well I forget I’m wearing it anyway.

The DoRag or it’s kind does not work for me. Level with head up and a whole lots a hair back there pushes it right off. No, mask strap does not hold it down but pulls it up. With their popularity they may work better with shorter hair, mine is waist length. The hoodie also keeps my braid back behind me or at least better contained and not floating around in my face.

Back
Top Bottom