Heading to Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Jim for the link to Sun Divers. A 10 dive package is $320. Times that by two and it gets pretty expensive; especially when it's FREE at Couples and I assume they dive the same places. :D

This is not our yearly DIVE vacation so we'll stick with the resort. If it's too much of a bother waiting too long then we can just skip the afternoon dive. We don't drink so it's not a matter of not being able to drink till about 3pm like someone mentioned here.

Thanks for the info. We are going April 9th to the 16th.

I'm really glad to hear they run a conservative and safe operation. First time in the ocean it will be nice to take it easy.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk

I'd really like to hear about experience. Particularly the condition of the BCs and regulators.

Was it a safe operation in your opinion?

Summersteel-

I did 8 dives over the corse of the week. I didn't use their regs but my wife did. I'd say that for the most part the regs were worn, but in acceptable condition. There were some newer ones but all of them looked well used. With that being said, I would have been more than comfortable using them. My wife hooked up to one rig with hoses in really rough shape. Lots of dry rot on them, but we switched it out no problem.

The bc's were are functional but some where very much worn. I'd still use their bc's if I were to do it again (which I really hope too). They were all functional and seemed to work perfectly, they were just really worn. Some material was torn and ripped, but nothing that seemed to affect the use. If you have a bc that travels easy I'd bring that but if not, then I wouldn't worry about using the ones provided.

My wife had to do there skills update for $80. I was disappointed in update. She did all the same things I did at the free "orientation". She was required to do it because she hadn't logged a dive for a year I think. If that is the case, pay to do it at home. My LDS would have had a much better refresher.

At first I wasn't impressed with the shop. They seemed a little like they didn't have time for us. That changed quickly. They were great. Really funny and a lot of fun to dive with. My wife and I were a little unprepared for the first dive and were running a bit behind. We were the last two in the water and it was a little too quick for my wife. The guys on the boat told me to go on with out her, I thought they were going to make her sit it out. About 10 minutes later she tapped me on the shoulder. It turns out "Mouse" (one of the guys on the boat) hopped in the water and helped ease her into it. Made sure she was ready then took her to meet up with us. I was so bummed at first but man was I happy to see her. The next few dives Mouse made sure we had the spots closet to the ladder so we were first off. And always made sure my wife was comfortable. That really meant a lot, that they cared enough to make sure she got to dive. I saw that happen with one other woman who was having issues.

Over all I was impressed with the shop. They were plenty safe. The first dive briefing wasn't great but all the ones following were. They were really strict on the depth limit for divers and all of our dives were safe. I didn't like how they do it as a "group" dive vs a traditional buddy dive. It was fine for me because my wife and I were always buddies, but for a single diver I wouldn't have been totally thrilled. My only complaint about the dive masters is sometimes they got a little too close to the reef I thought. I could be wrong, since this was my only experience diving on an actual reef but sometimes they got too close. Never kicked it or anything, but their fins would get close and that made me nervous.

All said and done, I'd do it again without question. Not only the diving, but the entire vacation. The resort was nice, but more than that the Jamaican people are incredible. So much fun to be around.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I'm also planning on posting some videos once I get them cleaned up a bit. I'll post more details about my dives when I get a chance to go back over my log books.

Glad to hear you had a great trip Arkman. 8 dives in a week is good.

Sorry to hear your wife had to do a refresher for $80. We are going to Couples Negril in September and it will be 6.5 months since we dove in Roatan in February so I am hoping we don't have to do that.

I also don't like the group diving mentality. I always dive with my hubby as my buddy. Diving as a group kind of goes against the buddy thing they teach us.

We've done Sandals in Cuba and thought we'd try Couples this time in Jamaica. I think both are fantastic resorts and we can't wait.

Thanks for the trip report

Betty, Don't quote me but I think you should be good on your couples trip. One of my co workers goes there once a year and I don't think she has to do a update ever. Thats the only time they dive.

I've never been to Couples but based on my co workers review you will love it. Sounds like a really nice resort.

Have fun!

Thanks for the insight, much appreciated.

I'm guessing that with it being a group dive format, they didn't supply dive computers?

No, they didn't. They supplied standard gauges. I brought my reg and computer. I'm not sure if they would allow you to hook up air integrated computers to their equipment or not.

Thanks Arkman. I was worried and next year will be even worse. We'll be diving in January in the Philippines and then not again until Couples again in September. That one is a longer stretch - 7.5 months. I think we'll ask the guys at the dive shop when we're there. We plan on visiting every September for the next few years until we retire in Hong Kong. We just need to pick our winter/spring dive trips maybe a bit closer to March for the even six month spread. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom