Heading to the Philippines - Jan-Feb 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is quite fashionable to knock the US, and it is quite easy to do since it is a fairly open society where 98% of the ills are reported in the press... It is especially depressing when I see Americans or residents pandering to others for acceptance :)

There are Americans that understand the situation (some even are doing something about it) and those that choose to ignore it. Then there are those in permanent denial.

Then again the irony of the right to bear arms foiled my misconstrued notions of freedom leave a lot to be desired in todays so-called modern society.

What is definitely true is that parts of USA remain more dangerous than the countries they issue travel warnings against. Id like to see which resident would like to challenge this or call it BS.

Interestingly, there are quite a few mass shootings in Europe....that few hear about. In fact, the two largest school shootings (K-12) are both from Germany. China has seen a number of school shootings this year too.

America's problem is that the media makes a sensation of our problems. It also tends to make celebrities out of the sick people who perpetrates these tragedies.

Wow sounds like you have a great trip planned... Again as far as safety goes, I have traveled solo throughout the Philippines to meet up with groups and have yet to have any problems.... I would just take care to pack plenty of rechargable batteries as the batteries here are relatively expensive and sometimes quality is suspect...

If you carry an unusal/unique computer I would bring an extra battery for that... But if your experienced you already knew that :) ....

Finally you can pick up a copy of the latest lonely planet guide and you should be all set in case you want to take any side trips....

Boy this one got hijacked quick.

I would recommend a cheap six plug strip but then I usually stay in very inexpensive lodgings where you only have two outlets - one for the fan and the other for everything else. You need to charge phone, ipod, strobe batts, camera batts and computer etc. Make sure your chargers can handle dual voltage - I had to get the international charger for my Ipod Touch - Frickin' Apple - every other charger I have handles 220 standard.

I would recommend Jens Peters' guide to the Philippines over Lonely Planet. He used to write for them in the past. I think it is more detailed and up to date.

Back
Top Bottom