Healing layer in photoshop problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Anyone tell me where im going wrong here ?

Im trying to edit an image in photoshop CS2, its loaded as background.

Then i add a new layer above this with the purpose of using it as a layer i can use the healing brush on.

Opacity of this new layer is 100%, fill 100%

layer.jpg

Then in an attempt to heal this layer i select the healing tool, select BLACK foreground colour and try to paint. Nothing happens at all - the changes just dont appear anywhere.

So i tried adding an all-white initial mask and painting - again nothing happens.

Any ideas or any guides how i can setup what im trying to do - id like layers for editing for ease of use and comparison.

Surely its something simple im messing up ?

Ive just tried this but then it seems to be blocking my adjustment layers for things like levels etc.

If you did your adjustment layers and stuff first.. when you clone the background to work on the healing.. just slide it down so its the first layer over the background in the list.. then the adjustment layers affect it as if it were the background..

so in essense, you are healing the background, but ... you are saving a copy of the background incase you fubar it :wink:

OK..with you so far i think(!)
Going to try it now

(and yes.. I know the image needs quite a bit of tone work to it... wasnt workign with a good lighting situation.. diffused flash was too harsh for the scene i was trying to get.. and i didnt have any studio lights.. this was impromptu staging before a wedding..)

Basically the layer you created is empty, nothing there to heal. You have to heal the background layer, no real need to create a duplicate of the background layer. Be sure to store your edited copy either under a new name or in a new file.

Hi Leesa: Create a blank layer above the layer you are trying to heal just like you are doing. With the blank layer active, select the healing brush. In the options bar make sure the "sample all layers" box is checked. Also make sure you have "alt clicked" the sample point. This should paint your healing onto the blank layer so you can play with opacity or tweak the healing further on the healing layer. I did not have time to prepare a screen shot. If you need one, let me know.

---Bob

Just reread my rushed post. I meant to address it to String. If you are still having a problem, let me know.

Leesa: Although there is nothing in the layer above the background, you can have your "healing" pixels placed on that layer by using the "sample all layers" option. This lets you adjust the healing, or delete it, without changing the layer below.

Often I will work on a picture and remove blemishes, wrinkles, crows feet, etc. If the final result looks too obvious (like some cosmetic surgery I have seen) you can lower the opacity of the "healing layer" to restore some of the natural features. I think this gives you more control over the end result.

Sorry if my prior post was at all confusing.

---Bob

Back
Top Bottom