Hearing Music at 90 fsw. Narcosis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quarry_mermaid:
A friend of mine (she's also a DM) hear what she described as "ballroom music" while diving the Hilma Hooker in Bonaire. She was at a similar depth as you. She admits she was definitely narced but had never felt that way before at the same depth. She says she heard ballroom music (assuming that's also 'classical') and then became mesmerized by the moving fins of other divers which she felt were moving in beat with the music. She said the whole thing had a trance-like feel.

Exactly what I was feeling. I felt that everything around me was in sync with the music. BTW, there was no one with an I-pod, speakers under the boat or any vessel within miles of us.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Dave Zimmerly:
Exactly what I was feeling. I felt that everything around me was in sync with the music. BTW, there was no one with an I-pod, speakers under the boat or any vessel within miles of us.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Maybe you had the special THC-impregnated Scopalamine patch? :14: :D

I'm surprised with all the comments about people humming. My girlfriend usually hums during the dives. Our instructor told her to do it to help her with air consumption. She says it calms her down and helps her concentrate, especially at tougher dives, with poor viz and stuff.

The thing is, some of my friends who usually dive with us always complain to me about it. They say I gotta make her stop, cause it's ruinning their dives for them. It really doesn't bother me, and I'm not willing to tell her to stop doing something that she finds so helpfull. Her air consumption decreases by, say, 20% and she stops moving her arms around all the time.

Has anyone ever complained about your humming? Do you find it annoying when other people do it?

[QUOTE [/QUOTE]
Jon C:
It is only narcosis if you SEE Mozart.

I once thought I heard rap music, but it was only a boat going overhead.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hearing Mozart, you're probably not narc'd.

Hearing Pink Floyd the wall, you're narc'd.

Hearing John Denver, you're dead.

I did my Nitrox certification dives in Cayman Brac. On the first one, I set my computer on Nitrox for the first time in my life. During the dive, I started to hear a strange clicking noise. The only thing I could think of was that my computer was sending me some kind of weird signal I was not familiar with. I kept looking at it, but it did not show anything that merited a signal--I was well within all limits, so there should not have been any kind of warning.

After a while, I noticed that my buddy was constantly looking at his computer as well. I wondered if he was hearing the same thing.

It was flat driving me nuts.

Back on the boat, we were all enjoying our surface interval, and I timidly asked, "Did anyone hear a ticking noise?"

General tumult followed. Yes, everyone had heard it. Everyone had been checking their computers. Everyone thought was worried that they were narced. Everyone was afraid to admit they were hearing things.

One of the DM's told us that there was repair work being done on a dock many miles away. Because of the way sound travels under water, we could hear it as if it were next to us. We had all been listening to that sound and going nuts.

IwakuniDiver:
Hearing John Denver, you're dead.

Not quite.

Hearing John Denver, you WISH you were dead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom