Hello All!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chadmeister

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Fellow Divers :)

I'm quite the newbie and I must say I'm in love with diving. My partner got me into it because he's a diver and I've always wanted to do it... Now he says he's created a monster! Hahaha

I've settled on an Apeks ATX40 set with the DS4 and the Apeks 4th stage with the compass on the back (thought it would be beneficial for my further education). I bought a mix of used and new. I'm a huge recycling advocate and try my best to stay within the used to reduce waste and save some pennies when I can :) for the BCD, I got the Aqualung Pro LQ (red) because I've been learning on the aqualungs and well, it was on a huge inventory clearing sale and exactly my size :) I think now you guys see what my partner means when he says he's created a monster... Lol (through my profile you will tell that I'm really a fresh newbie!!)

I've also paid up and decided to go all the way to Rescue (PADI). This decision was taken for a few reasons, mostly due to the fact that I think if I'm going to dive in OW, I need to know how to take care of myself and others! The EFR course was very interesting (the school gave me a private class so I really got to practice it all, hope I never have to use it though)... Some people think I want to just collect certs and I'm too much of a perfectionist a-type (maybe I am a little) but to do rescue in my opinion really is needed. The probability of being able to save a life if there are more rescue divers on board grows just due to the fact that there are people that know what they're doing (or well supposed to). Am I wrong to think this way and jumped the gun??

I started on this Forum looking for used regs in the UAE (and nice guys replied) and also am now actively reading and learning from other diver's experience. I've noticed I have an ability to remember things I've read when in a situation about a similar situation, so I'm hoping I can put into practice what I'm reading soon!!

Looking forward to being more active and hopefully meeting up with a few of you at least on travels and if you come towards Dubai/Oman :)

Regards,
C

Edit: forgot to also mention that I do get horribly seasick on boats and then it affects me while I'm waiting for the boat on the surface... But that doesn't deter me!! Hehe and I almost drowned when I was a kid but water still calls to me. I've kind of found a new aspect of myself in the OW, kind of returning home in a way... Weird I know, but I'm sure some of you know what I mean...

howdy and welcome from south Florida USA.....good luck in your underwater and educational pursuits.......

Welcome to SB! Apeks are amazing regs...good choice on that. Have you tried to take anything for seasickness? I personally use Bonine and ginger candy.

Hello DRIS2!! Yes, I take this really cheap medicine that is sold around here (made locally) and it seems to work great for the trip out. But I'll usually need another one once I surface and get on the boat before the 2nd dive during my SI. It recommended on the box once every 4ish hours 15 mins before you need it. So it's kinda convenient.

I also have to admit, although my partner is a little put off by my spending time on scubaboard etc... He's the one that went ahead and got me the set I have now haha thinking he'll just get me off the computer hehe (kinda worked. Now I'm mostly on it when chillin' alone or on breaks at work)

Back
Top Bottom