Hello from a baby diver in GA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best way I know to clean gear after a salt water dive is to go on a spring dive afterwards. See if any of the springs are on your way home between PC and GA.

Hi catgirldiver. Welcome to the board.

Just wondering.....can it be true that between you and your husband, you have 7 dives, and he's already complaining about cleaning gear? There really aren't any shortcuts, but I suppose the closest thing to a short cut would be to get one of those really large plastic storage containers, put all your gear in it and fill it with fresh water. Then, soak your stuff for 24 hours, rinse well (including the inside of the BC) and hang to dry.

Enjoy your diving!

Hi Catgirldiver...welcome aboard. We lived in Lawrenceville, GA for three years (1998-2001). I got cert. over at Lake Jocasse in SC and did my rescue diver training in Lake Lanier. It was fun living in the ATL area, but the traffic and crowds got to us after awhile, so we moved back to KY.

Hi Angie..........and welcome!!!!!

Like most things, the more you do it the easier it becomes. Although I have to say when I was new, the last thing I was worried about was an easier way to clean my gear. But I can also understand wanting to see if there was an easier/quicker way to get it done.

As a new diver, the first thing I did was to get a 'tub' type container to wash my gear in outside. Now, I have to admit that I head straight to the tub inside with it when getting home. Recently I did get an additional shower curtain rod which I use when it comes time to clean my gear. After soaking and cleaning it well in BC wash, I now just hang it all on this rod and can rinse it using the shower head and let it drip dry into the tub (instead of 1/2 in and 1/2 out over the floor, lol). Your gear will dry better IMO being hung up to dry, and you won't end up using a lot of towels to keep the rest of your bathroom dry at the same time. Not to imply that this is a shortcut, just my way of getting it done.

I'm located in Savannah, GA and would enjoy hearing from you if you end up making a trip in this direction.

Main thing to remember is:
Dive Safe........and enjoy the experience.

PS, I promise all of the cleaning will get easier and is most definitely worth any inconvenience. Just think about how much you enjoyed the dives, cleaning the gear is a small price to pay in order to keep enjoying that gear for years to come.

Back
Top Bottom