Hello - From Central KY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob_Simon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all - New to Scuba and new to this board. I have heard that there are folks here that can breathe under water. Now that always intrigued me so will be trying to find out all I can about that phenomena and maybe even try it myself. :)

All kidding aside, I’ve always wanted to try this sport ever since I was in the Navy back in the late 60’s. Being recently retired I now have some time to look into Scuba and all that it entails, or at least some of it.

I’ve looked around a little at the “guest” level and it appears that there is a great bunch of folks who frequent this forum. I haven’t updated the UC’s as yet but will do that shortly. I’ll also be looking for folks around the Danville KY area, if there are any, so I can get some “local” information about classes, training, dives, etc. I’ll probably also troll a bit in New Hampshire (Conway/Bartlett area), as I make trips up there every now and then.

Very much looking forward to interacting with you folks of Scuba knowledge and giving this sport a try after all these years.

Thanks…….Bob

Hi Bob, I'm from Lexington KY and just joined the forum. Small world! I travel frequently to a beautiful Caribbean island for diving -- Curacao, Netherland Antilles. My family has built a vacation rental villa that we call "Flamingo Villa." Get some Kentucky divers together and head to Curacao. Check it out at Flamingo Villa, Curacao Villa Rental - Welcome

Sounds like an “offer I can’t refuse.” Getting a group of KY divers together and heading that way is something I would be all for. I have a friend in Ohio that dives, could we sneak him in? :crafty: I probably should learn how to dive first, but will keep your offer in mind.

Thanks for the reply.
Bob

Hi Bob, Welcome to the board. I'm from the Owensboro area. There are several groups around the Bluegrass State. On this board, there is the Kentucky Piranha Patrol. Great bunch of divers with most of them from around the Louisville area & a few of us stragglers here & there. You might also look at the link in my signature. It says Evansville Scuba Club (based out of Evansville), but we have several divers from around KY & TN also. I tend to frequent Pennyroyal quarry in Hopkinsville, KY for diving. If after you get certified & you ever find yourself down that way, looking for a buddy, look me up I'm there at least a couple weekends a month.

Hi Tammy - Thanks for the reply. I no nothing about this sport or how long it will take to get certified. But you have given me a start and I'll definitely look at your posted link. I'll probably end up traveling to Lexington to get this done, but would love to do it near Danville if possible. I hope to find someone “like you” close to this area and be able to sit down and ask the 1000 questions I have.

Thanks again, and maybe one of these days we can do a dive…..Bob

Feel free to ask away.:D I would say that you should have no problem finding an instructor in & around the Lexington & maybe even Louisville area. I would like to suggest, if I may, that you look around & "interview" a few different instructors to find the one that may be most suited to you. Ask them questions like "what are your student to instructor ratios"? (the smaller the class, the more individual attention you can get), "Are there Dive Masters or Assistant Instructors to help with the class"? (can be an extra safety margin), "how long is the course"? (most are usually 4-5 classes/ pool sessions (& there are some courses that are longer even) with an extra weekend for Open Water check out dives- I would shy away, personally, from shorter classes- it's generally too much information to absorb in such a short period of time), "What equipment is needed for you to obtain before the class & what equipment does the store provide"? (usually you must have your own mask, snorkel, boots & fins (a wet suit is also a good idea if you tend to get cold easily)- The shop usually provides the cylinders, BCD's, weight belts & weights & regulators). There's a few questions to start & I'm sure you'll come up with a few of your own.

Back
Top Bottom