Hello from Cincinnati

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coleraindiver

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, so many members! So, this will be intimating at first.

I will start off with some basics like:
Name: Mike

I am a “newbie” to this scuba adventures. I am still in classes until 3/20/08 with my partner and 11 yr old daughter. Then, on 3/21/08, we fly to Puerto Rico to hopefully get our 4 “Open Water Dives” completed to finish the certifications. Then off on a cruise and hopefully get in some dives in the South Caribbean.

This was a last minute decision to do all this “scuba” stuff. My daughter and I are extremely excited. My partner is still leery but finally told me that he is excited to see real fish underwater. This “hobby” is very confusing to someone new to it. Especially not knowing anyone involved in scuba. Trust me the Ohio River is not making any scuba top 20 list anytime soon.

I choose this forum due to size and active postings. I figured one of the best ways to learn is to read from RL experiences. I know we always say there are no such things as “Dumb Question” (trying to be politically correct) but as a prior teacher, there really are some really dumb questions! I will be asking lots of them - so just laugh off my postings and say to yourself someday this newbie will get it.

Wow, so many members! So, this will be intimating at first.

I will start off with some basics like:
Name: Mike

I am a “newbie” to this scuba adventures. I am still in classes until 3/20/08 with my partner and 11 yr old daughter. Then, on 3/21/08, we fly to Puerto Rico to hopefully get our 4 “Open Water Dives” completed to finish the certifications. Then off on a cruise and hopefully get in some dives in the South Caribbean.

This was a last minute decision to do all this “scuba” stuff. My daughter and I are extremely excited. My partner is still leery but finally told me that he is excited to see real fish underwater. This “hobby” is very confusing to someone new to it. Especially not knowing anyone involved in scuba. Trust me the Ohio River is not making any scuba top 20 list anytime soon.

I choose this forum due to size and active postings. I figured one of the best ways to learn is to read from RL experiences. I know we always say there are no such things as “Dumb Question” (trying to be politically correct) but as a prior teacher, there really are some really dumb questions! I will be asking lots of them - so just laugh off my postings and say to yourself someday this newbie will get it.
Hi, Mike,

I'm John. I'm a DiveCon and Instructor in Training for a shop in Northern Kentucky. Welcome to the board. If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to fire away. While Kentucky and Ohio isn't exactly known for it's clearwater diving, there are several places we dive at pretty regularly. Our group generally dives from Memorial day through the end of October, but we do have some drysuit divers that dive year round. We do alot of local day trips to Blue Springs and Falling Rock quarries, as well as weekend trips to larger regional quarries and other bigger dive trips also.

My 11 year old son and my younger brother dive with me pretty regularly, so if you ever want to go out, just let me know. If it's warm, I'm usually out somewhere blowing bubbles.

John
Nkydiver
nkydivecon@gmail.com

Hello Mike,
I'm from Harrison, OH originally...just out I-275 to 74. How's the weather up there?
This is the place to learn about diving. Welcome.

Welcome to the board! I'm just a hop up the road in Dayton. There's a big get-together of the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew (one of the regional forums here on the board) at Gilboa Quarry near Findlay OH April 26-27 and you're welcome to join us! It's a great way to meet your fellow Scubaboard-ians and to immerse yourself in a weekend full of diving and eating and just plain fun! Heck, you don't even have to dive, just come up for the food and the campfire!
Ber :lilbunny:

Welcome to the board! Good luck with the cert!! Don't worry about asking dumb questions, we all do at some point. Just be sure to use the "search" feature before you do incase it's already been covered...otherwise you might get some snarky "use the search!" comments if it's a frequently asked question. Other than that, jump right in, this board is a great source of information!

Enjoy your classes and take it slow. I was certified with my 13yr old son and working to get my 10yr old daughter certified this summer.

Welcome Mike,
This is a great place to get lots of advice (and snarky (like that word gotta start using it) remarks about the search feature). I am a newbie too and these folks are pretty gentle. I kep inviting people up to enjoy low vis and cold water (with no takers) so I'll try again. If you are up in Maine at any point, Give me a shout!
-Ken

I'm John. I'm a DiveCon and Instructor in Training for a shop in Northern Kentucky. Welcome to the board. If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to fire away. While Kentucky and Ohio isn't exactly known for it's clearwater diving,...

Hey, John.

I saw a post from a previous thread so, sorry for highjacking it.....

My question is this. I dive in the summer at many of the quarries in Northern Ohio. I will be around the Cincinnati airport area (actually in KY?) in June for a 3-day conference. Are there any NEARBY dive sites that I may be able to sneak in a bit of leisure while attending business meetings until about 2pm each afternoon :(???

Thanks,
Kevin

Back
Top Bottom