Hello from Japan!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HakoFugu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all! I'm a new diver, PADI certified last September. I'm originally from California, but I presently live in Kofu, Yamanashi, Japan. I got my certification in Izu, Japan. I'm now faced with the bewildering task of figuring out what gear I want to buy, in an unbelievably expensive country where I still can't communicate very well and can't read the dive mags! This forum seems to be just what I've been looking for. I went gear shopping in Tokyo recently and the prices for everything were so completely over the top, I'm still reeling.... The people at my diving school are very nice and great fun to dive with, but their gear selection is limited and their prices are pretty crazy. Soooo.... the hunt begins!

Welcome! We hope you enjoy it here. Never been to Japan, but would it make sense to have someone buy for you stateside, then ship it, if it is that expensive? Also, if you haven't done many dives, you might want to rent for awhile to get comfortable with the equipment choices before you buy...

Have fun!

welcome aboard!

gj62:
Welcome! We hope you enjoy it here. Never been to Japan, but would it make sense to have someone buy for you stateside, then ship it, if it is that expensive? Also, if you haven't done many dives, you might want to rent for awhile to get comfortable with the equipment choices before you buy...

Have fun!

Hi! Thanks for the note. Yep, my family in the States is quite used to shopping and shipping all manner of stuff for me.... That's probably the route I will take. As for rental, I'm not sure what my options are here. Maybe if I was in Tokyo it would be easier, but I think here in Kofu there aren't a lot of sources. I'll investigate though.

Thanks again! And thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Great to have you on this board!
Perhaps you would clue us in on the diving in Japan.
I can't help on Eqp but I think you already received excellent advice.

Chuck
BTW: what are some of the prices?

HakoFugu-san,
I feel your pain. Everything in Japan is sooooo expensive. Even the Japanese will fly to Korea to go shopping. And for you, the US $ is so weak right now.

Keep in mind that Singapore is only a short 4hr flight ~ $400 RT. Buy gear there (don't forget to haggle) on your way to or from a dive trip in Malaysia. You'll be able to get the world-wide warranty with that. Some of our SNG dive sb members may be able to help you. (Akihabara is still cheaper for electronics though.)

I also used to get friends who came to Tokyo on business from the US to bring gear which I had shipped to them. It is tough to buy stuff sight unseen, and yes, you won't be supporting your LDSin Japan. But, unlike the US, the LDS in Japan will charge you roughly double what it will be in the US. You'll save a LOT of money for what is essentially the same gear - flashlights, compasses, etc. I paid $30 USD for a mini-maglite at Tokyo Hands. In the US, it's $10 at Menards. The LDS also may NOT have the right sizes for your wetsuit/gloves, etc.

Worm welcome from Egypt :sappy:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom