Hello from Japan!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great!

Thank you, Nori-san! I'll definitely have a look.

And thanks for all the warm welcome and tips, everyone. :cheeky:

And welcome to SB!! :D Put us in your favorites and check in often.

I always try to buy from my LDS - who schedules some of my trips and I look to for continued training. I'm usually willing to pay 20% more there, but that's a personal call... :wink:

don
:jump013:

DandyDon:
And welcome to SB!! :D Put us in your favorites and check in often.

I always try to buy from my LDS - who schedules some of my trips and I look to for continued training. I'm usually willing to pay 20% more there, but that's a personal call... :wink:

don
:jump013:

Yeah, that's what I'd like to do (buy locally)! If only it was only 20% more.... One note about Japan: People here really seem to prefer the newest and the best, especially when it comes to technology, and they're willing to pay a premium for it. High-end all the way. So, it's not too much of a surprise when my local LDS (which really doesn't sell much gear.... they're mostly just a school and dive travel outfit) shows me a selection of 3mil wetsuit jackets (just the jacket, mind you...), the cheapest of which runs around US $400. There just isn't as much of a market for the stuff in my budget range. Couple that with the fact that my Japanese is still not good enough to talk techie about anything, really, and I'm at a distinct disadvantage when trying to buy gear locally. :frown2: But, judging from some of the posts I've seen and some of the info people have sent me, there are some good options for at least spending some of my dive yen in the country (and I did see some good prices on wetsuits in Tokyo a couple of weeks ago... but none in my size...), and my investigation is just beginning. Also, I'm definitely going to continue my education and diving through my LDS, since they're just about the friendliest and funnest bunch of people I could hope for. So, a little piece here (Japan), a little piece there (US, or wherever...), and I'll be one happy camper....errrr.....diver!

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

Hey Nori,

sounds like you know the Tokyo-Yokohama area. I'm heading for Tokyo in August. I'd really like to do some diving. But just a handfull, I won't take my gear with me, so they have to be rentals And yeah, I can back you and HakoFugu up on the price matter. It's unbelievable. And not just renting stuff, but also the trips to Izu for example. So, if you know some alternative routes, thus cheaper ones :p, that would be great. Thanks.
And Hako, welcome on board!

Welcome to the board.

I had the same problem when I was in Japan, so damn expensive. In the end I tried the kit in the stores then ordered over the internet. Huge savings.

Who are you diving with there?

Dive Source:
Welcome to the board!

Lots of opinion here so remember with Free advice you get what you pay for (LOL)

Have fun and check in often.

Maybe I should add a paypal link, so people feel they are getting more valuable advice? Answers are a buck, correct answers are five bucks, dirty looks are always free.

HakoFugu, welcome to the board, and to diving. Is there much local diving around Japan, or do you plan on travelling?

glbirch:
Maybe I should add a paypal link, so people feel they are getting more valuable advice? Answers are a buck, correct answers are five bucks, dirty looks are always free.

HakoFugu, welcome to the board, and to diving. Is there much local diving around Japan, or do you plan on travelling?

Any Guarantees we'd get our money's worth...? :54:

DandyDon:
Any Guarantees we'd get our money's worth...? :54:

I'll let you know as soon as your cheque clears my bank. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom