Hello from New York, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khughes

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I just got my OW certification down in Key Largo with Natalie at Ocean Divers, pool and book learning classes here in Manhattan at Scuba Network with Michael Ratti (NAUI instructor). I loved it and want to start diving a lot, so will be hoping to do some ocean diving in the northeast soon.

Of course I'll need a warmer suit.

I want to get in some dives soon and will probably get my AOW this summer.

-Keith

Hi Keith and welcome to ScubaBoard and diving. Glad to hear you're going to dive cold and not just warm, I'm in the same boat here.
David

Thanks for the welcome! I think this will be a great place to learn and meet fellow divers.

Yeah, I figure if I want to dive regularly, diving cold is the way it will be a lot of the time. Besides, the wrecks around here sound cool.

Four or Five of us hit Dutch every couple of weeks. We also dive with the Karen out of Sheepshead Bay. PM me if you want to come with us.

Tom

rapidiver:
Welcome to SB Keith! It's finally warming up out here!

Thanks.

I'm out in Cape Cod every couple of years. Will definitely have to check things out around there. We usually are in the vicinity of Newcomb Hollow Beach, but next time I go I will probably rent a car so I can go dive somewhere.

laughintom:
Four or Five of us hit Dutch every couple of weeks. We also dive with the Karen out of Sheepshead Bay. PM me if you want to come with us.

Definitely! I'll want to check out Dutch for sure, and knowing good places to find boats for the ocean will be important.

What thickness of suit should I be thinking about for diving around here?

khughes:
Thanks.

I'm out in Cape Cod every couple of years. Will definitely have to check things out around there. We usually are in the vicinity of Newcomb Hollow Beach, but next time I go I will probably rent a car so I can go dive somewhere.

Yeah, Wellfleet is awesome for surfing, (and the Beachcomber!) but I normally dive the Cape Cod Bay for Lobstah!

7mm with full hood / boots and gloves. I dive year round on Long Island but I do it dry. The surface temp during the end of the summer is nice and 7mm would be too much but goto any type of depth and it gets cold. Good luck!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom