Hello from Scotland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi budgy:

Welcome to the board from the cold waters of New England.
Have fun, Dive Safe ..................Arduous

Hey, there. I can't be many miles from you - I'm in central scotland. I'll be doing my referral course in 4 weeks then the open water dives in April.

Maybe get your advice on the Clyde once I've gotten to grips with this brave new world! Will I ever?? I started reading the PADI book yesterday so now I think I know a little about buoyancy, pressure and air volume. I also tried on some suits and equipment at the dive centre in advance of the referral course - I was exhausted getting the suit and the shoes on and off!!!!

Oh, God, what am I doing!?!?!?:crawl:

you know it will be worth all the effort and more! :wink:
Originally posted by brizzolatti
...also tried on some suits and equipment at the dive centre in advance of the referral course - I was exhausted getting the suit and the shoes on and off!!!!

Oh, God, what am I doing!?!?!?:crawl:

Hi Budgy
Welcome to a fellow Brit.

I am a new member too (yesterday) and I think SCUBA Board is brilliant, but so far haven't contacted anyone yet. I thought I'd take this opportunity to do so.

I used to dive the Clyde 1992 through 1993 when I was DO of HMS Cochrane in Rosyth and I imagine not too much has changed.

Where were your local sites? My wife Chris and I preferred the west coast to the east for taking our Novice divers to get them experience. (Much more to see!)

We live in Holland now so local diving is quite easy.
Once again welcome!

Aquamore

Hi Aquamore,
Regarding sites, I dive Loch Long quite a lot because it is well sheltered. Perhaps you know Ali's reef, the Caves, and Finnart.
I like Cumbrae, in the Clyde, you never know what you will see there, seals, swans, ferret, porpoise, it makes a goood day out. Triple reefs, at Otter Ferry in Loch Fyne is better but much further way, there are many big scallops and massive crabs. Oban and the wrecks in the Sound of Mull, are even better but now we are talking weekends. Have you dived under the Connel bridge, or the Gravelacks? The colours on the Hispania make it a spectacular wreck. I like to feed the wrasse, on some dives they are as curious and friendly as pets and the colours; for those who only live on the surface believe me, there is a different rainbow down there. Its cold and dark and often raining, when I start out, and you must be crazy to go out diving in this weather.

As you know there are some very good deep wrecks here in tri-mix country. There are so many recorded wrecks that it would take a lifetime to dive them all. I'm building up experience and slowly getting the kit together, and pursuing the training.

The vis is sometimes less than 6ft and the water temp can drop below 5 deg C, yet they are all good dives and some of them were great, the wonder joy and excitement have been worth ten times the discomfort, and the money I have spent, is meaningless.
Regards,
Budgy.:D

Glad to see you've introduced yourself! Welcome to a great place to spend your extended SI! There are lots of friendly people here and tons of good information is being exchanged as you read this! Hope to hear your stories and advice soon!
Ber :bunny:

Back
Top Bottom