Hello from Seattle!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good morning everyone! Just wanted to throw out a quick hello as I am new to the ScubaBoard family. As the subject of this post states, I am from Seattle WA. I have been a certified PADI diver for about 7 years now but unfortunately my dives are few and far between. My first dives were in Belize where my sister got married and since then I have dove in Hawaii, Edmonds, Alki, and the San Juan Islands. My goal over the next couple years is to start purchasing my own equipment so if anyone has advice on some great dive gear, I would love to hear about it. I saw that ScubaBoard is taking over Cozumel and I am certainly interested in joining the group for this trip! Anyway, I hope everyone is well and enjoyed the holidays. I look forward to communicating with everyone here and making some new diving friends!

Thanks for the time,

Ryan

Welcome. A discussion on dive gear can rapidly go off in multiple directions. A few things that might be worth knowing:

1.) Mask fit is very individual, a cheap mask might work better for you than an expensive one, and you never know until you dive it.

2.) If you get a BCD, in addition to the traditional jacket version, there's what's called a BP/W. See SwimLikeTheFish's Beginners' Guide to BP/W. If I got a jacket, I'd make sure it had 2 tank cambands, not just 1.

3.) A dive computer with a good interface is your friend. If you want budget and don't need air integration, one option is the Deep6 Excursion. If you want higher end and air integration, the Shearwater puck-style Perdix A.I. and watch-style Teric are well-regarded. Now It's Time To Choose A Wrist Computer. If you are big on fitness, and would use such a thing topside, Garmin has a Descent MK2 watch that has dive computer function and topside functions.

4.) For fins, many of us use open-heel instead of full-foot fins. A number of divers here prefer paddle-style over split fins (I will not attempt to represent that debate here). As a wetsuit (not dry suit, where floaty feet can be an issue) diver, I find I tend to be foot heavy, which is not unusual. It aids my horizontal trim to use lighter fins. The Deep6 Eddy with spring straps is a fine choice with spacious foot pocket; thanks to @Nemrod I am now more aware of the ScubaPro Go Sport, which sounds like a worthy contender. OMS Slipstream Alternative.

5.) For open water diving away from land, get an SMB and spool. It's much easier to see at a distance from a boat than a little diver head.

6.) If you might do shore diving, get scuba boots with a medium or greater thickness sole. Makes walking geared up on iron shore more tolerable.

7.) Be wary of very high-priced 'prestige' regulators. I doubt you need to spend $1,500 on a regulator. A reputable model and brand is wise, but don't go overboard.

8.) For a cutting tool, the Trilobite is very popular.

9.) You probably do not need a big dive knife. You may want a small one (or a line cutter or pair of EMT shears). If you get a knife, I personally consider it worthwhile to get one of the 'rust-proof' ones, and favor H1 steel over titanium. Dive Knife Material vs. Corrosion: Titanium, H1, LC200N

Once you get through all that, you can ask about dive lights, AL vs. steel tanks and compare and contrast the Nautilus Lifeline vs. a PLB!

Richard.

Welcome Ryan! There is a large and active dive community in Seattle and the PNW. It looks you already have a start on diving at home, which is great. Some of the best diving the USA is right out your front door!

If you want to get your own gear, take into account both local and tropical diving needs.
  • Get a pair of Steel tanks, suggest HP100 as a good size/weight option.
  • Make sure your BC has enough lift for both wet and drysuit diving, with Lift of 45lbs or more.
  • Invest in a good drysuit than can fits well and has good flexibility and freedom of movement. Replaceable neck and wrist seals are worth the cost.
  • Holis F1 fins with spring straps are the most popular dive for local diving. I like spilt fins such as Apollo Biofins for tropical diving.

A few PNW resources:

MarkerBuoy Dive Club (organized dive club, group dives): Marker Buoy Dive Club – Copyright Digital Cupcakes
PNW Diving (Site info, tides, current, etc): pnwdiving.com
NWDiveClub.Com (local dive forum): Northwest Dive Club - Homepage

It looks you already have a start on diving at home, which is great.
That's a good point. Whether he'll do local water diving has an impact on gear choice. My recommendations were centered on wetsuit diving in warm water.

Wow.... those are some fantastic responses. Very detailed and it seriously helps a LOT. I know NOTHING about gear and some of the points you guys made I would not have thought about. I plan to dive locally in cooler water quite often because it is in my back yard and I am lucky enough to have a boat here in edmonds that we take up to the san juan islands and anchor down for open water dives. With that being said, I certainly will be travelling as much as possible to warmer dive spots. My thought process was to get the essentials like a good mask that fits me perfectly, BCD, and regulator. I figure I can travel with those and then rent tanks, weights, fins etc... I normally dive with a 7mm wetsuit up here and it keeps me plenty warm.

Another thing that I cannot find for the life of me on WDFW is hunting season for divers... I want to hunt for halibut but there is nothing online (at least that I can find) showing when the season is for that. I am starting to wonder if they even let you do it at all anymore?

Thanks!

Wow.... those are some fantastic responses. Very detailed and it seriously helps a LOT. I know NOTHING about gear and some of the points you guys made I would not have thought about. I plan to dive locally in cooler water quite often because it is in my back yard and I am lucky enough to have a boat here in edmonds that we take up to the san juan islands and anchor down for open water dives. With that being said, I certainly will be travelling as much as possible to warmer dive spots. My thought process was to get the essentials like a good mask that fits me perfectly, BCD, and regulator. I figure I can travel with those and then rent tanks, weights, fins etc... I normally dive with a 7mm wetsuit up here and it keeps me plenty warm.

Another thing that I cannot find for the life of me on WDFW is hunting season for divers... I want to hunt for halibut but there is nothing online (at least that I can find) showing when the season is for that. I am starting to wonder if they even let you do it at all anymore?

Thanks!
You should visit Eight Diving down in the DesMoines. They may be able to help you out with some of those fishing questions. There are lots of protected areas in the region, so you want to learn all about that and not get in hot water with other divers or Fish & Game. Talk to them about gear too while you are at it.

Ping me with a private message if you want to discussion gear options in more detail before you buy anything. I'd be happy to chat about it.

Thanks!
Here you go: Puget Sound/Strait of Juan de Fuca halibut seasons and regulations. Spearing is an allowable method during the listed season (page 106 of the '21-'22 rules), but make sure you are careful about your location. There are lots of closures and exceptions, and halibut require a record card.

Alex

Hey hope all is well! Also in the Seattle area - have 100+ dives - and in need of scuba buddies in the area. Interested in general diving - as well as crabbing and potentially spearfishing. Let me know in case you are interested in diving!

In terms of equipment - I am not an expert. But - I definitely subscribe to others advice to strongly consider a backplate/wing versus traditional bc - it is modular - better - and can progress with you into further diving as needed. In terms of buying gear - highly recommend DGX.

I would recommend Octopus Gardens Diving for regulator maintenance. Those guys are top notch. They also sell equipment.
I used to live in Bellevue but I moved to Florida last year. I hope you are joining our trip to Cozumel this year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom