Hello from South Dakota!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adam Jorgenson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone!
My wife and I just started diving last January, completed our open water in Key West, and completed our Advanced Open Water at the Crosby Mines in MN last August. Looking forward to learning a lot from you all!

Welcome to the Board. I've driven through SD a few times years ago. Are there any local sites in the state worth diving?

Welcome. What part of SD are you from; which shop did you get certified with?

We live in the northeast corner of the state. Plenty of lakes around, but they aren't exactly ideal for diving. Visibility isn't too great. We do have a spot called Hunters Quarry that is pretty nice, although not a huge place. But the water is pretty clear, it is 190 ft deep, and there is some nice views from underwater. Other areas in SD have some good diving & spearfishing options. The Missouri River has quite a few areas, and Pactola Lake in the Black Hills is very good for diving. We are pretty close to Minnesota, so we have a lot more options that direction. My wife and I did our certification through Landshark Scuba in Sioux Falls for confined, and Lost Reef in Key West for open water. All great people to work with!

howdy and welcome from southeast florida....

We live in the northeast corner of the state. Plenty of lakes around, but they aren't exactly ideal for diving. Visibility isn't too great. We do have a spot called Hunters Quarry that is pretty nice, although not a huge place. But the water is pretty clear, it is 190 ft deep, and there is some nice views from underwater. Other areas in SD have some good diving & spearfishing options. The Missouri River has quite a few areas, and Pactola Lake in the Black Hills is very good for diving. We are pretty close to Minnesota, so we have a lot more options that direction. My wife and I did our certification through Landshark Scuba in Sioux Falls for confined, and Lost Reef in Key West for open water. All great people to work with!
I used to hunt up by Webster and Roslyn. I don't think I'd ever get in any of those lakes/sloughs.

I've never heard of Hunter's Quarry before. Is it a designed Scuba place?

Been to Landshark a few times. Good people.

Welcome. You've been to Key West, so you've got some idea of what traveling diver offerings hold for you. Hope you guys have a blast.

Richard.

Thanks to everyone! Landshark Scuba has the very best people! They have become like family for us! And very good to work and dive with! Hunters Quarry is south of Milbank at a granite quarry. They had mined down around 190-200ft and it's now filled with water. It's not a huge body of water by any means, but it has some interesting things to see, plus it's a great place to work on skill refreshing between destination dives and weekend dives with the Landshark crew. Usually pretty secluded, so it's a great place to go spend an afternoon in the water. SDGFP gives permission for diving there upon request. They have been very good to work with on that.

Welcome to the boards from Australia :)
Thanks to our 'nanny state' all of our beautiful quarries are well and truly secured (which just calls for more resourcefulness on our part) enjoy the journey

Hello everyone!
My wife and I just started diving last January, completed our open water in Key West, and completed our Advanced Open Water at the Crosby Mines in MN last August. Looking forward to learning a lot from you all!

Hello Adam. Welcome.

I've been out to Pactola a couple of times now. Cold Spring Reservoir has even better diving, IMO, in the same area (a ways southwest iirc). There are some other lakes in the surrounding areas that are fun to dive, especially early in the year as they green up badly as the summer wears on. The presence of relatively few divers in the area means that the "finds" can be really good.

I get out to Crosby from time to time, good diving there too, cold. Like you I finished my OWD in Key West, a couple years ago now, I've been back to dive the Vandenberg since.

I just got a boat that is seaworthy enough for Lake Superior and am looking forward to more dives there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom