Hello From Tulsa! 3rd dive = Decompression Camber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ain'tDeadYet:
i disagree about the nitrox: if a person can't take the time to dive conscientiously and safely, nitrox will only increase their level of risk because, although the threat of DCS is lower, the threat of O2 toxicity is huge at depths like 119ft.

Agreed! It would be best for him to learn how to plan safe dives within his current training limits before adding additional task loading.

Mike

That is an incredible vacation story. I bet you got back home and were like "did all that really happen last week?" Great pictures too, it looks like a lot of fun.... minus the hurricane and deco-chamber! haha. Count yourself lucky and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Safe diving,
James

Ain'tDeadYet:
Matt's first dive (110 feet for 20 minutes) is way outside the no-deco limit on both charts. so there's no way to figure what his repetitive dive profile would be. a dive computer would credit some for time spent at shallower depths, but if you don't have a computer you have to dive tables. (it's really, really not okay to dive somebody else's computer.)
what's confusing to me is why a diver would wish to dive so far out of their level of control. sky-divers don't jump to see who can hit the ground fastest...
ADY
I didn't use someone else computer. After the dive and I started getting symtoms on the boat, one of the other divers checked his computer to see how deep we actually went. And I don't feel like I dove out of my control. At no time did I feel out of control.

After reviewing my dive dive table, it looks like I should have followed the "emergency decompression" rule. It says "If a no decompression limit is exceeded by no more than 5 minutes, an 8 minute decompression stop at 15ft is mandatory." I did not do the 8 minute decompression stop.

mattr762:
I didn't use someone else computer. After the dive and I started getting symtoms on the boat, one of the other divers checked his computer to see how deep we actually went. And I don't feel like I dove out of my control. At no time did I feel out of control.

After reviewing my dive dive table, it looks like I should have followed the "emergency decompression" rule. It says "If a no decompression limit is exceeded by no more than 5 minutes, an 8 minute decompression stop at 15ft is mandatory." I did not do the 8 minute decompression stop.

Why didn't you know your own depth? You shouldnt have to rely on someone else's computer to know your depth. That is divin out of control. You can't control your dive or your profile if you don't know your depth.

Plan your dive, dive your plan. What was your plan? Before you splash you should plan the depth and the time and stick to it.

That's the only way you maintain control.

Ain'tDeadYet:
i disagree about the nitrox: if a person can't take the time to dive conscientiously and safely, nitrox will only increase their level of risk because, although the threat of DCS is lower, the threat of O2 toxicity is huge at depths like 119ft. also, having a nitrox tank might encourage some divers to behave even more irresponsibly because they feel falsely protected from the very real consequences of dangerous diving.
i'm looking at both the EANx and RDP tables. Matt's first dive (110 feet for 20 minutes) is way outside the no-deco limit on both charts. so there's no way to figure what his repetitive dive profile would be. a dive computer would credit some for time spent at shallower depths, but if you don't have a computer you have to dive tables. (it's really, really not okay to dive somebody else's computer.)
what's confusing to me is why a diver would wish to dive so far out of their level of control. sky-divers don't jump to see who can hit the ground fastest...
ADY
first I wouldn;t say 110 for 20 is way over the limits.. Its over for padi tables, but US navy tables allow 110 for 20 surfacing as a "G" diver.. On many deco programs (0% conservatism) if you put in 110 for 20 , most come up with around 3 minutes of deco, so if a safety stop was completed, this would have beenok also..

Dehydration raisesthe risk significantly.. What was the exact profile for the dives that caused problems afterwards?

padiscubapro:
What was the exact profile for the dives that caused problems afterwards?

It seems to be rather clear that 'exact' profiles are not available as the diver isn't sure about anything. I hope that at the very least this experience has taught him that diving like this is just plain stupid. If you follow a training process and then disregard almost every aspect of it afterwards it only shows, IMO, that you didn't really believe what you were taught. Scuba diving is not the sport to do that with and expect no consequences. I hope that some lessons have been learnt here, but I also wonder if that is the case - there also seems to be a lot of 'I didn't do anything wrong'.
I'm sorry - but it needs to be very clearly said - these dives should never have been done and I think that you are probably quite lucky to have come out of them the way that you did.

Kim:
It seems to be rather clear that 'exact' profiles are not available as the diver isn't sure about anything. I hope that at the very least this experience has taught him that diving like this is just plain stupid. If you follow a training process and then disregard almost every aspect of it afterwards it only shows, IMO, that you didn't really believe what you were taught. Scuba diving is not the sport to do that with and expect no consequences. I hope that some lessons have been learnt here, but I also wonder if that is the case - there also seems to be a lot of 'I didn't do anything wrong'.
I'm sorry - but it needs to be very clearly said - these dives should never have been done and I think that you are probably quite lucky to have come out of them the way that you did.
This diver was definately over his head, and is pretty lucky to only get bent.. My comment was really in regards to the comment that the profile was way over the limits, which this dive was not..

padiscubapro - my comments weren't aimed at your post - I just tried to PM you about this but unfortunately your PM box is full and won't accept new messages.

Kim:
padiscubapro - my comments weren't aimed at your post - I just tried to PM you about this but unfortunately your PM box is full and won't accept new messages.
No offense taken...

My Mailbox is now cleared....

I just got finished reading this entire subject and I am really impressed with all the comments on the this dive. I am new to diving and my thoughts are that this dive should never have been done. After only 1 wk after getting an O/W certifcate I would never have gone to even 110 ft. My cert. recommends that a diver with little or no diving experience only dive to a max depth of 60ft or less for new divers. As far as I can see this diver was out of control and I personally would not dive with him.
I did not get into diving to go to the bottom and die I want to enjoy myself while I am there, but I also want to be in contol of my dive. If that means slowing down to get the experience then so be it. What ever happened to Plan your dive and dive your plan .
I am planning a trip to Hawaii in August and I want to come home from my vacation, so I plan on having at least adozen dives under my weight belt before I go there, and have my Advanced Open Water Cert.
Again thanks for all the great infomation on this subject and I'll keep reading all the great posts.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom