Hello from upstate NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm in Saratoga County. I had a hard time in my class taking my mask off in the pool. It's not the opening of the eyes rather the water up the nose. I tend to instantly breathe through my nose when my mask is off. During class I worked on the side with a master diver to overcome my fear. At one point in the deep end of the pool I took my mask off and instantly paniced. It happened really quick and the guy said I threw my regulator out of my mouth and bolted for the surface... he grabbed my leg to try and hold me down and calm me, but I kept on going. During my checkout dive it took me a minute to psych myself up to take the mask off. I was very controlled doing it, but in the event my mask if kicked off during a dive... I won't be in control and I fear the panic/bolting.

Anyway, I just need to get back in the water and get more experience. It's been a few years and I only went out a few times after getting certified. Once I'm under I love how peaceful it is.

Ahh Saratoga County... Ok maybe a bit far from me but ok. Yeah what happened to you is what happened to this guy in my class.. he panicked. Its that water rushing onto your face and you thinking you cannot breath because of the water hitting you. It will take practice just keep at it. You'll be fine.

Hi Momof3gr8boyz,
Welcome to Scuba Board from Goshen, NY. I did my AOW many, many moons ago in Lake George. We stayed at Roger's Rock with a local shop, and had a BLAST! There was also a lodge we stayed at, but the name escapes me. They had a compressor on site, a nice touch. I remember doing a night dive in November. It was a clear night when we went down. When we came up about an hour later, it was snowing. For me, something about it seemed very peaceful.
Anyway, one of the best ways for you to get back into diving, and to help you with your fears is to take a refresher course. The instructor should work with you on mask removal and replacement and lost buddy procedures (search for 1 minute, then surface) On option on the lost mask problem is for you to carry a spare. This is common in Tech and Cave/Cavern diving, and I think it will help you.
I hope this helps. If you ever get down to Goshen, NY stop on in - the coffee's always on. Plus we have people diving almost every day. Since we also go to Lake George and the Thousand Islands pretty often, we might get a chance to meet you up there. Oh yeah - as for c-c-cold Lake George, I have 2 words for you DRY SUIT. It makes a major difference.
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT

Hi, George,

Thanks for the welcome and the in-depth reply. I'm in awe at how helpful everyone is here. I would definitely need a refresher since it's been so long. I have a pool so I should just go grab a tank and jump in to tackle this mask fear. I also like the idea of a spare mask too. Isn't dry suit diving a whole different animal? I would love that, but my dive buddy thinks I don't need that.

Karen

Hi Karen,
If you are going to jump into a pool, please do so with an instructor. You've been out of diving for a bit, an you have some difficulties you need to deal with. Trying to do it alone is not the best way to accomplish this. Get your skills and confidence up to snuff before doing anything.
Dry Suit is different than regular diving, but not difficult at all. Many people with an open water certification that a dry suit specialty. If you tend to get cold easily, it's the best way to go. Initially it is more expensive, but from my own, as well as many others experiences, it's the only way to go. If you don't want to go this way, my next suggestion would be to get a semi-dry wetsuit. It's in between the two extremes (totally wet, totally dry) and doesn't require learning new skills other than getting used to putting it on. It costs a little more than a standard wetsuit, but a lot less than a dry suit. The choice is totally yours. Your buddy may not feel the cold the same way you do. As an instructor, I always teach my students that when you feel cold, you're cold - period. It doesn't matter whether any one else feels that way or not - the important thing is that you do.
I always carry a spare mask. It's come in handy when my primary mask got wacked off by a careless diver. I simply put on my spare, found my primary mask, switched back over, and continued my dive. Of course the fact that the careless diver bought dinner also helped!
Let me know how you do Karen. Stay in touch.
Take Care,
George
PADI MSDT

I will definitely take your advice. THANK YOU! I do tend to get cold easily... would probably need something long in the tropics too since I wear sweatshirts in the summer.

LOL While I'm not quite that bad, I also get cold easily. Hence the Dry Suit. Many Dive Centers have Dry Suit tryouts where you can sample one. We've done this on many occasions. Also DUI does "Dog Days" across the country, again so you can try one. One of these demos can answer more questions than I could in a month.
Keep in touch!
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT

Hi ...
wavey.gif
& Welcome to ...

:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:
banana.gif

I think some time in the pool will do wonders for you armed with alot of info you gathered here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom