Hello

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spof

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all i was just recentally scuba certified and i am wanting to buy my own gear but not really sure what to get. I have looked around, but with so many options i am lost. I found this package from oceanic for $1000.00 and wanted to ask if it was a good buy for a new diver. Any suggestions and tips would be much appreciated. I cant post the website link but its on the oceanic main site. " FOR A LIMITED TIME, $999 BUYS A COMPLETE LIFE-SUPPORT PACKAGE INCLUDING PNEUMATICALLY BALANCED REGULATOR, OCTO, WEIGHT-INTEGRATED BCD, AND DIVE COMPUTER FEATURING OUR EXCLUSIVE DUAL ALGORITHM TECHNOLOGY."

Thanks
Trent

For a grand you should be able to get a really good starter package. I shopped around and got my setup with tanks for about a grand. Yes, I really had to shop, Ebay, craigslist for tanks, leisure pro. My stuff isn't all one manufacturer, cressi reg, edge bc, Steel tanks, AI computer. Just shop around ask questions and you will be ok.

First, what were you trained on and did you like it? If so I would either stick with the brands you like or rent other brands to find out what suits you. Also, especially if you liked what you used in training, why not ask the dive shop if you could purchase a used set [if you like your LDS] and feel the equipment has been serviced properly. Oceanic is a good brand, but without specifications it's hard to say if its a primo deal. Compare packages from various internet sites. Although the initial price will be higher, give a lot of consideration to using your LDS - show them what you found on the internet and work with them. They have to make money but they also want to make a sale.

Yes by all means do look around. Keep in mind though that if you get hooked line and sinker youll eventually want to upgrade. Try to pick something thats as close to the type of diving you forsee yourself doing.

When buying gear and asking advice though keep in mind its like asking about cars. You may have your heart set on a ford but if you ask around enough soon someone will tell you how terrible they are while others tell you there is not a better car out there.

Weigh in the advice and most importantly attempt to rent gear if possible that is what you want and try it out. Shop around as many shops will even allow you to use a pool and try the gear out before buying it.

If buying used gear you can always make a request that they go with you to a lake and try out the gear first hand. Some people may say no but others wanting to prove to you its legitamit will be more then happy to oblige. Since you are just buying new gear too try to get another more experienced diver to go with you and look it over and get a neautral opinion.

Last but not least never commit without doing your homework. Though most divers tend to be good hearted loving folks (Ive found more free hearted loving people who would give the shirt off their backs in diving) There are crooked ones still out there too. If you want to buy as an example a Zeagle Ranger LTD you may find someone trying to sale one used for 650 dollars and almost 4 years old. Upon closer inspection you may find it to be faded and show signs of being well used over those years. When you would look online or at your shop you would see they sale for around 750 - 800 dollars.

In short you would only save a 100 dollars and in fact get gear that may not last all that much longer. Just be careful out there and enjoy diving!

I own 5 different BC's' all are used a ton and are a bit faded but they all still work well. Secondly where are you located and what type of diving is most common where you live. You will likely make dive buddies nearest where you live so what type of diving do they do etc. It used to be easy but now there is the sport divers which to me is everyone that isn't being paid for his or her services but the gear associated with the sport dives is simpler and less expensive. The tech style is way more costly. Perhaps you should share a little about what your interests are and see what happens.I try to buy nothing new with exception of mask/ snorkle type gear. Anything that is used with pressurized air needs to be rebuilt at your LDS.

I'll repeat some of what was said....for a grand, shop around. Let the guys with lots of money buy it new and sell it to you for a discount. :D The only thing I own right now that was brand new is my drysuit and regs. Used computers, used wing, backplates, tanks, etc.

GOOD set of used regs incl analog gauges: >$350
GOOD used bcd: $250
GOOD new wetsuit: $150
GOOD used tank: $200

These are the averages I've seen. Best part is you pick and choose rather than looking like a corporate sponsored diver.

You should already have fins, mask, snorkel, boots/gloves from training.

Having gear is much more better than not having gear.

Hi all i was just recentally scuba certified and i am wanting to buy my own gear but not really sure what to get. I have looked around, but with so many options i am lost. I found this package from oceanic for $1000.00 and wanted to ask if it was a good buy for a new diver. Any suggestions and tips would be much appreciated. I cant post the website link but its on the oceanic main site. " FOR A LIMITED TIME, $999 BUYS A COMPLETE LIFE-SUPPORT PACKAGE INCLUDING PNEUMATICALLY BALANCED REGULATOR, OCTO, WEIGHT-INTEGRATED BCD, AND DIVE COMPUTER FEATURING OUR EXCLUSIVE DUAL ALGORITHM TECHNOLOGY."

Thanks
Trent

Trent - this thread might be of assistance. It's a discussion of buying vs. renting gear. Good Tips and tricks here.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ng-diving/342764-cost-purchase-vs-rental.html

Hey tracy and welcome, ive used the website divers-supply.com and love it, its has some packages in there you might try and look at. you can mix and match gear to make your own packages. ive ordered some gear from them before (basic gear mask, fins etc) and the shipping was relativly fast. just thought it would be a good place to check out if this deak doesnt work out.

Hey tracy and welcome, ive used the website divers-supply.com and love it, its has some packages in there you might try and look at. you can mix and match gear to make your own packages. ive ordered some gear from them before (basic gear mask, fins etc) and the shipping was relativly fast. just thought it would be a good place to check out if this deak doesnt work out.

I've seen the website before, and it seems to have some good prices. Thanks for the tip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom