helmet camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnctina

Reaction score
Has anyone mounted a helmet cam to their mask strap for hands free filming. You could film your dive and not have to mess with lugging a big housing around.
I got the idea from watching critter cams on tv.

I thought about it many times while lugging around my heavy video rig. I was looking into making a housing for a hi res mini video camera and another housing for a vcr but couldn't find an 8mm mini recorder or digital recorder that I could use. I was thinking of mounting the camera on a helmet and the vcr on my waist belt with a cable connecting the two like a canister light. I figured it would be a great setup if I could put one together.

If you have any suggestions let me know.

Check out www.helmetcamera.com
They have a waterproof helmet cam. mount your mini digital camcorder to your back plate and the helmet cam to your head and you film hands free.

Taking a quick look at the web site I see they list it as water proof to 100 feet. That's great for recreational diving but I want something I can take to at least 200 feet. Looks cool though, I'll have to take a closer look at it.

I called them the other day and they are working on a housing for your mini camcorder that will go deeper. The man I spoke to doesn't recomend diving with what they have now. The helmet cam is good for 150ft. Thats deeper than I go.
For me, who works in a huge factory that has a machine shop, fabricating a housing is no problem, and fun. I'm thinking of a aluminum cylinder with a removable end cap to insert the camcorder. Install the proper fittings for the helmet cam on the other end. A mount bracket to attack to the side of my BC and it should work. I won't know for sure until I get the camera and mini camcorder.
I would think I can make a housing that would handle 200ft pressure.
Another bonus is I can travel lighter. My curent camera/housing is big and heavy. It always gets a bomb check at the airports.

If you can make a housing for something like this you should take a look at my website. I've been making housings and lights for years. Nothing out of aluminum but PVC does a great job and it's strong and easy to work with. There are several members on my site that make and sell parts that are very popular. If you come up with and idea let me know as I might be interested in buying one.

MSN DIY Site

Great website, My idea would look something like one of your canister lights, I'm shopping for a mini camcorder so it will be a while. I'll keep you informed.
Where are you in Fl. I lived in the West Palm Beach area in the 80's. I try to get down there every few years for some diving. It seams that everyone I dove with is no longer there. The last casulty being the Rampage.
Sea ya.

I live in Ft. Lauderdale. The next time you get down this way drop me a PM or post something in the Conch Divers section and maybe some of us can meet up and get wet.

Please keep me posted on the helmet cam.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom