Help! Dominica or Grenada?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No extension of the airport runway as of two months ago. There has been some minor work, some improvements, limited night landing capability, but nothing major. For whom would they be building? What airline? A new reality is developing in the Caribbean. Things are not the way they used to be, here at home, or elsewhere. Welcome to the future. It's not very nice.

I was there June a couple years ago. Good diving. Viz maybe 60 - 75. Lots of little fish, 4+ spotted eels every dive, 4+ spotted drums every dive, turtles, peacock flounder, flying gymnasts, etc. You will enjoy it.

I am thinking of going to Dominica this July or Aug... What is the diving like during this time of year?

Very good----------but---don't wait any longer...A lot of resorts(ie Castle Comfort for one) shut down the entire month of Sept---------we were told due to weather ie tropical storms/hurricanes etc.....

This info from the time we went a couple years ago---in mid July.....

---------- Post added May 19th, 2012 at 06:28 AM ----------

I have never been, but I know there are sperm whales in Dominica. That would be an incredible experience. The TV show Descending went there and had a local boat that seemed experienced find the pod.

Would be a wicked adventure, although it would take some work to organize I would think without looking in to it.

wife did the whale thingy when we were there a couple years ago.....Found a few after many hours of searching....

The last time I was there was 2009. They were working to build a runway that would accomodate larger aircraft. Does anyone who has been there lately have an update on the Construction along the ocean by the airport?
During our trip in Jan., 2010, we were told that in return for Dominica's UN vote in support of China's claims of sovereignty over Taiwan, China paid for the existing extension of the runway. During the same discussion (with a native), he told us that Dominica had also sold its vote to Japan in support of ocean-wide whaling, including in the waters around Dominica. This decision is at distinct odds with the pro-whale tourism push. I don't remember what Dominica received in return for that UN vote.

The Chinese presence on Dominica is astounding. there are crews of Chenese workers all over the island, working on roads and other infrastructure. There are secret arrangements between the government of Dominica and China that local newspapers constantly refer to and demand information about. "No" says the government. "It's a state secret."

Remember, Dominica has a tiny population, about the same as a small US town (78,000). Qualified and competent leadership is hard to find. More than once corrupt politicians there tried to sell off huge sections of the island to foreign interests. Dominica is also poorer than any other nation in the Western Hemisphere, excepting Haiti. Cuba and China provide most of the assistance they get, Cuba technical and medical, China a vast infusion of cash and construction workers.

China is investing heavily in Dominica. Their embassy is huge. Their presence is remarkable. They recently built a bridge into Roseau with those gold Chinese liondogs as decorations. Local people painted them with black tar. They were cleaned immediately. A lot of mysterious developments in Dominica as China's star rises and America's sun sets.

Building a larger airport will require removing at least one mountain. It may yet happen. There is talk of building fish processing plants.

Venezuela also invests in Dominica. I believe they have oil storage tanks there. I think it was China that built the sports stadium a few years ago.

Venezuela, or more accurately Hugo Chavez, sells Dominica gasoline and other petroleum products at prices far below world market levels. Venezuela gains primarily good will and influence, and has no significant economic investment in Dominica, unlike the Chinese, who are buying land and opening various commercial enterprises. The extent of this investment is among the items the government of Dominica (and China's government) refuses to disclose.

When I was in dominica a few months ago there was an acute shortage of gasoline for a couple of weeks because of bad weather and high seas. There were long lines at gas stations with many closed. A crisis was developing, but the weather cleared and a Venezuelan tanker arrived in time to avert a complete shutdown of transportation. Dominica has only one reasonably secure harbor and it is quite far from the petroleum storage facilities.

The Chinese presence on Dominica is astounding. there are crews of Chenese workers all over the island, working on roads and other infrastructure. There are secret arrangements between the government of Dominica and China that local newspapers constantly refer to and demand information about. "No" says the government. "It's a state secret."

Remember, Dominica has a tiny population, about the same as a small US town (78,000). Qualified and competent leadership is hard to find. More than once corrupt politicians there tried to sell off huge sections of the island to foreign interests. Dominica is also poorer than any other nation in the Western Hemisphere, excepting Haiti. Cuba and China provide most of the assistance they get, Cuba technical and medical, China a vast infusion of cash and construction workers.

China is investing heavily in Dominica. Their embassy is huge. Their presence is remarkable. They recently built a bridge into Roseau with those gold Chinese liondogs as decorations. Local people painted them with black tar. They were cleaned immediately. A lot of mysterious developments in Dominica as China's star rises and America's sun sets.

Building a larger airport will require removing at least one mountain. It may yet happen. There is talk of building fish processing plants.
That's all very disturbing.

Back
Top Bottom