Help, first BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maegomez

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I am 5 3" and about 130 pounds woman. I think I will enjoy and will be comfortable with a ladies Hybrid BC since I am a new diver and will be using it in cold water and tropics. $ is very important since I can't spend alot of money on this ( out of work). Ladies out there please help me find a right one!!!! Thanks

Although I'm not a lady, a properly fit BP&W with a nice padded harness and back pad is an option you shouldn't overlook. Every single person I've ever put in a BP&W has not regretted buying one.

My wife likes the Mares Kalia, it uses a dragon bladder design. It is mares version of a hybrid I think. She loves it.

I find it an entertaining diversion to open any threads along the lines of "Getting my first BCD......" The object of my little game is to see how long it takes for someone to suggest a BP/W. There are extra points for the suggestion when a poster clearly says they want a certain type or brand of BCD or has limited funds (BP/Ws are not usually cheap).

This one happened in one response, but it took a full two hours. On the other hand the request was for a hybrid bcd, so this was a contender but not a winner.

In response to a request for a ladies hybrid BCD that doesn't cost too much, I am not a lady but I recently helped my wife select a BCD and from that experience would tell you that at least new, Scubapro and Seaquest will be expensive, Zeagle doesn't do a hybrid and you might want to look at Oceanic/Aeris. It is best if you can try on whatever you are interested in. Scubatoys might have a used one and you should consider calling them. You may want to post a WTB in the classifieds. If you decide what you want you can also check for a deal on Ebay.

I assume your desire for a hybrid is either based on some experience with them or research you have done, so I won't get into that. Good luck.

I have an Oceanic Hera. Overall a great hybrid BC. It's padded in all the right places for us ladies & has a highly adjustable harness. The only minus about the BC is it doesn't travel the greatest. It is a bit heavier than most BC's & because of all the padding, doesn't pack down as neatly as some other BC's.

I find it an entertaining diversion to open any threads along the lines of "Getting my first BCD......" The object of my little game is to see how long it takes for someone to suggest a BP/W. There are extra points for the suggestion when a poster clearly says they want a certain type or brand of BCD or has limited funds (BP/Ws are not usually cheap).

This one happened in one response, but it took a full two hours. On the other hand the request was for a hybrid bcd, so this was a contender but not a winner.

In response to a request for a ladies hybrid BCD that doesn't cost too much, I am not a lady but I recently helped my wife select a BCD and from that experience would tell you that at least new, Scubapro and Seaquest will be expensive, Zeagle doesn't do a hybrid and you might want to look at Oceanic/Aeris. It is best if you can try on whatever you are interested in. Scubatoys might have a used one and you should consider calling them. You may want to post a WTB in the classifieds. If you decide what you want you can also check for a deal on Ebay.

I assume your desire for a hybrid is either based on some experience with them or research you have done, so I won't get into that. Good luck.

This is SB, where the 1% of divers push hard for the BP/W for what ever reason each has. Did you expect anything else.

My wife has an Aeris contour which she is a big fan of (and is a hybrid bladder design). I'm not ashamed to admit I've tried it on and it's pretty darned comfy (OK maybe a little ashamed :) )

I assume it's been discontinued as it's not on Aeris' site and Leisurepro.com has it on super sale for 274.00 (a steal IMHO). I believe the current version is the Wahine (500.00) which looks exactly the same other than some pretty flowers and light rather than dark blue accents.

This is SB, where the 1% of divers push hard for the BP/W for what ever reason each has. Did you expect anything else.

No, but why not have a little fun with it? :D

I am thinking of starting a thread where I ask the best way to mount my spare air to my backplate......

You and I are similar builds (although apparently my arse is bigger LOL)

I have a Zeagle Zena. I dive cold and tropic. It packs fairly easily. Is very adjustable (which I love) and is almost reasonably priced. It is rear inflate and i LOVE it.

Rent or borrow from friends several different types of BCs before you decide. The nuances of fit and function are best determined after diving a few.

My daughter (23 Dive Master) just bought an Aqualung Pearl i3. Take a look see....it is the 1st BCD that i think had ladies in mind...though in my daughter's case she saw the Pink stitching (she says looking good under water is important) and also saw several instructing ladies wear this BCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom