Help! Fl keys diver moving to Lubbock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trtldvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Help!

For the past 13 years I have lived and dived in the Florida Keys, now I am taking a great job in Lubbock (ICU RN UMC hospital). I am excited about the job, but what about my gills? How will I keep them from drying up? I am a NAUI instructor ( have taught for Florida Keys Community College for 8 years) and a public safety diver (Monroe County Sheriff's Office Reserve).

I am looking for ANY chance to get in the water: Local lakes? Local shops that need a part time instructor? Local public safety agancies that could use and abuse a diver that is a Chamber tech and RN.

Safe dives
trtldvr
www.divealive.org

Welcome to the Swamp, but where you're going....well...you're moving to the desert. That's a HUGE change from the Keys...it's doesn't get much bigger than that. There's a couple places within a couple hundred miles....Balmorhea and the Blue Hole in New Mexico. Your scuba choices are going to be very slim pickings and long drives. Sorry.

When I lived there it was explained to me that trees 'only get in the way of the view'. Very nice community to live in, but no diving close to Hub (of the Plains).

I don't really want to bum you out; but here's what my research shows. I ran this analysis using all of the dive sites that I am aware of. The results aren't pretty. Here's what I have compiled:

Lubbock to Santa Rosa, NM ---- 3hr 30 min 205 miles
-----to Possum Kingdom ----- 3hr 35 min 216 miles
-----to Balmorhea ----- 4hr 08 min 257 miles
-----to Elmer Thomas ----- 4hr 31 min 276 miles
-----to Murray ----- 5hr 13 min 313 miles
-----to Del Rio Amistad ----- 5hr 43 min 349 miles
-----to Terrell CSSP ----- 6hr 00 min 381 miles
-----to Tenkiller ----- 8hr 09 min 507 miles

Welcome to West Texas, may I offer you my sincere sympathies. I moved here 6 months ago from New Hampshire (not exactly divers paradise but it is wet). The culture shock has rattled my bones. The people are nice, the diving is not.

You might want to check out the Rocky Mountain Oysters (RMO) group also. They are active in New Mexico which is closer then many of the swampers. The Blue Hole in New Mexico is good for getting wet, keeping up skills and socializing. Not much else, living in FL you are spoiled rotten dive wise. Hopefully you new job pays well enough you can travel some.

I am excited about the job, but what about my gills? How will I keep them from drying up? www.divealive.org

I couldn't bring myself to respond to you earlier, because I felt so sorry for you!!Okay... hopefully, GREAT job means GREAT $$$, because your salvation is going to be that you can fly to Cozumel cheap from Texas. Plan as many blue water fixes as you can afford, and plan to drive a bit in between. Or take a great job in central, north, or south Texas when you can, for more choices. You can also go on Flower Gardens liveaboards from the Houston/Beaumont area.

One word for ya: "DFW"
(as in the airport)

How 'bout coming over here to Texarkana & working. You can buy my house with a pool to blow bubbles in - then I can move to the Keys!! :D:D

At least we've got a little bit of lake diving over here on this side of the Republic of Texas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom