Help - Florida Keys to do Advanced Open Water in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smartcar8

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am thinking of going to the Keys (solo) in June to do my Advanced Open Water and I have a few questions:

- Is June a good month to dive the Keys?
- Can anyone recommend which area (Key) has the best diving?
- Can anyone recommend any accommodations that are diver friendly (mid-range in terms of price) maybe with a dive shop affiliation
- Any recommendations of dive shops would good dive schools

Thanks for any tips!

-June is usually a good time of year

-Key Largo and Islamorada are the best for diving in my opinion. Key Largo has decent night life but for real night life (rather than diving), Key West is the best

-If you're looking for cheap, cheap, cheap: check out the Pelican (aka Hungry Pelican). When I'm traveling solo or with a dive buddy, this place is perfect since we spend no time at the hotel except to sleep. With that said, the rooms are very spartan at best, probably need a fresh coat of paint, the cheap rooms are really small and I'd never take my wife there: she'd hate it. If you want mid range, look at Ocean Pointe Suites, they are condos and are quite nice. There is also a couple of Marriott flagged propeties on Key Largo (Marriott, Courtyard). Also note that some of the dive shops have package deals with hotels. While I've not stayed at the following, I've seen other SB'ers suggest it: Key West Inn (which is located on Key Largo).

-I like Conch Republic the best. I dive with them on most of my trips to the Keys. I've never done training with them but watched them in action and they seem good. Rainbow Reef also has an extensive training schedule. My bet is Horizon Divers or Ocean Divers would also be good. Another option is a SB member such as mselenaous: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/mselenaous-67808.html

Last edited:
I agree with sportxlh especially in regards to Conch Republic Divers Conch Republic Divers Diving | Tavernier | Key Largo | Islamorada I also have not tried their training but I know from being around them so much they are as good at that as all the other things they do. We also stay at Pelician Point and I think Conch Republic has a favorable rate with them!

My wife and I did our AOW with Rainbow Reef last summer. They have package deal rates including the class and accommodations. We booked a package and stayed at the Key West Inn (which is located on Key Largo, right down the block form the dive boats). You should contact them to get pricing. They are a good Op.

June is a great time to dive in the Keys. Sorry I don't have any dive shops that I have done instruction with. I can tell you my goto dive ops are Scubado and Conch Republic.

There are a few independent instructors here in the Keys such as myself and mselenaous as well. If you want an education that's worth your time, we're there. If you just want a quick AOW c-card then we are not the ones for you. Unfortunately, we'll be traveling a lot in June, but you can check out Dive With Elena, Private Scuba Instruction & Reefs to Dive For! to see if our schedules jive. While we dive with most of the ops, my favorites are Rainbow Reef and Ocean Divers. Not sure how the buy out of the latter will affect them, but I feel good about it so far.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm traveling.
Contact Capt. Jim Wyatt via PM. He's an excellent instructor who can during your AOW give you a personal tour of the Spegiel Grove where he served.

I'll 2nd the Hungry Pelican as a place to stay. I've also stayed at the Bayside Inn and the Seafarer Hotel which worked out well too.

I'm a fan of Silent World for everything from charters, day trips and training.

We've stayed at Key West Inn and the Hampton Inn. KWI is right at the marina...the Hampton is a few minutes from the dive shops. We like both places.

For Dive Ops we've used Horizon, Ocean, Rainbow Reef and a few others...we always seem to go back to RR for the free guide.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom