Help ID Old SP gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The MK7/109 is a great reg and certainly worth servicing and using. I have a MK7/108 that I used this past summer. Nice breathing reg. I have a friend that dove the Andrea Doria with an MK5/109.

@rsingler rebuilt a MK7 recently and did a write up about it. From what I remember the reg side is nothing but a MK 5 and the “honker” side is nothing but a spring that when pressure reduces from the tank down to about 400-500 psi a little rattle starts to engage when the spring tension lessens, warning of low tank pressure.
Kind of a cool idea at the time and certainly usable now if you can endure that racket.
The 109’s, check the outer rubber diaphragm cover to make sure they aren’t all cracked and dried up. That would be the limiting factor. Other than that when they are converted they breath just like G250’s but without the Venturi vane (which I never use anyway.)
I have one converted 109 and the of rest mine are stock which are basically like all metal G200’s but adjustable, but no venturi vane.

Just met up with @davehicks today. He'll give them a once over and rebuild them to be balanced 109s. Thanks again Dave and great talking to you today.

Use it without an SPG (as originally intended) and there will be a racket.
My open water instructor (then a longtime univ P.E. professor who taught scuba and swimming-for-conditioning and at one time was the univ swim coach) was also a Scubapro (and U.S. Divers) dealer. He sold a number of Mark VII regulators to students who purchased them as a safer alternative for diving in muddy lakes and private ponds (i.e., in environments where you couldn't read your SPG) even though they would dive with an SPG.

I used to service friends', including my ex's. She took the univ scuba course a couple of years before I did, and she purchased her Mark VII (heavy yoke) ca. 1985. I still have a friend's older Mark VII (thin yoke) that I serviced ca. 1998 (when he returned from working as a scuba instructor in Grand Cayman) that he has not yet picked up from me.

I wouldn't hesitate to dive a Mark VII that has been properly serviced/restored. They are neat regulators.

Oh, and you can hear the "honk" each time you depressurize the Mark VII prior to removing it from a cylinder.

rx7diver

Honk honk, honk honk honk!
There it is just pull off the cap drop out the honker thats about it

010.JPG

Or you can use the non honking port, hey or a multi port adapter
Great for those divers that clump weights on their shoulder straps

Honk Honk!!!

Feel like I'm on a freeway in LA honk honk honk!

Back
Top Bottom