Help Identifying tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its likely they were not originally scuba tanks, they have flat bottoms. CO2 bottles maybe?? In any case I see no reason not to use them if they pass inspection.

These tanks do have rounded bottoms - It doesn't seem super apparent in the pics though.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll keep researching, but at least I have some good leads now.

BTW - I will probably be selling the Trieste ... I'm a little short of cash at the moment, and restoring a reg (which does appear to be in great shape) is not something I can take on at the moment. :(

I have an update, for anyone interested ...

I decided to do a volume measurement using water. From that test, and the data on the tank, I have come to the conclusion that these are LP 40's.

Water Volume: (slightly more than) 8 L.
Rated Pressure: 2015 psi = 139 Bar

total compressed gas volume = 8*139 = 1112 L = 39.3 cu.ft.

Anyone interested in a couple of LP 40's?? :wink:

They are 3AA (chrome-moly steel) and the original hydro stamp has the + stamp. Therefore, their intended fill pressure is 2216 psi (2015 + 10%). At that pressure the would have been closer to 45 cu ft. If they were originally sold as scuba tanks, I am certain that they were advertised as 45 cu ft.

I have several pairs of similar tanks (45 to 50 cu ft doubles). One of my pairs is even the same pressure and probably same dimensions. They are great little sets of doubles, but I don't think I need any more. :)

I just checked the data on my 2015 psi tanks and they all measured from 45.3 to 45.9 cu ft. at 2216 psi. I actually have four of them. I also measured the actual volume using water.

All four of mine were made by Norris. Your are PST, so they are very similar, but not the same.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom