Help! In the market for my first regulator!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One really big thing you need to consider is the shop you will be teaching at. Generally shop owners like for you to be in the gear brands they sell. Students really look at the gear the professionals wear and use. I dive the pool and lake teaching with a different set up then I do recreational. I wear a Zeagle Ranger when with friends but would never never consider putting a new student in it. You need to be able to confidently recommend an student appropriate regulator by not saying a word. It needs to be rugged, able to be beat around and tolerate chlorine well. Any thing environmentally sealed from the factory is a great choice. I currently use a Sherwood SR1 and routinely let students try it. A large part of a diving professionals job is to sell gear. I know it sounds self serving but it is a reality. We just can't make it teaching alone.

You are going to spend either 300 bucks or 600 hundred. Not that a 600 dollar reg is any better but to get the right amount of first stage ports, and good breathing characteristics a 600 dollar reg is more realistic. Also, please be sure to get an octo that doesn't have to have the S turn made in it to get in to the recipient. In a sticky situation you want to be able to stuff a regulator in your students mouth and have air come out of it. Standard octos have to be oriented so the exhaust tee is down. I use a Mares Viper that is a side breather. It is a little wet but it will breath either way. Brands are also available that look like a hockey puck.

In the end be sure of 4 things,

1. Be sure you can get it wet more then once. You have to trust it like your mother!

2. Be sure you can get it serviced. It would look really bad if an instructor died because he didn't get routine maintenance

3. Be sure you like it. Nothing speaks confidence like gear you can sleep in.

4. Be sure the shop(s) you work for are ok with brands you have on. Not just the reg.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom