Help me choose a fin...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhuskins

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After reading this forum a few times, I've decided to jump in and ask others to advise me on a choice of fins.

I dive in Monterey (DUI Drysuit shore dives), as well as in warmer areas (rash guard and small booties, at most from boat dives). I am slightly more than a casual diver, but hardly consider myself an expert. It's a pretty even mix of the two dive styles.

I am a photographer. I don't care about moving fast. On the contrary, I want to be able to hover, back up, and otherwise slowly control my position in the water.

I often frog kick and scull so as to not disturb sand/silt.

Having said this, I have been looking over all the messages and comparisons of force fins. Only the Excellerator mention mention frog kicking, and the Pros are the only one that seem to mention being able to back up.

I suppose the real question I am asking is: If I purchased a Tan Delta, what will happen if I scull or frog kick? Will they work efficiently? Would I need to go to a model with wings? Please help.

I would use the SD-1 Military as it will let you do these things as well as adjust a foot pocket as you switch from Bootie to Drysuit. The Tan Delta SD-1 has a bit more umph to it and I love them. Give Bob or Blair a call at Force Fin and they will hook you up.
Avi Ratica
Force Fin Tester #1

I would have the Pros and love them. Frog kicking is a bit modified...I find more of ankle movement then a leg stroke.
uncleavi has the right idea hook up with the Bob or Blair and try out a few different types. I am sure you will be happy if you come over to the "darkside" as I call it.:D

Good Luck,
U/O

Dhuskins,
uncleavi and Underwater ogre suggested some great models. SD1 has versatilty in the foot pocket and PROS are a great travel fin as they are smaller in size. If you are diving in Monterey you should contact Rob Haas at Glenn's Aquarius II.
Glenn's Aquarius II Dive Shop - Home

He uses a variety of different models and the store carries PROS and other models in their rental Program.

Glenn's Aquarius II Dive Shop - Home
Glenn's Aquarius II Dive Shop
Rob is a great guy and has good knowledge and experince with Force Fins and the local diving. With the Shop right at the break water you could get in the water with a variety of models in one day and be able to make a choice based on practical experince.

Back
Top Bottom