Help on planning - anilao and puerto galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smurfzzz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im seriously torn between Anilao and PG, but i only have 5 days (2 days travel so only 3 days of diving), wondering if anyone has good advise or ideas to dive at this 2 place within 5 days?

I'd like to check out the macro paradise at Anilao and learn underwater photography there, however, full 3 days of muck diving might be too overwhelming for me.

The vibrant activities at PG seems fun, coupled with waterfall expedition and cheaper dive/accomodation rate is luring. Problem, will i have time for waterfall expedition after 3 dives a day in Sabang?

Now, any possibility to do a mix of both - Anilao and PG? I'll be departing from Tagaytay on 17th July and i need to be in Manila airport on 21st July.

Otherwise, which place do you think I should choose? I having a terrible time making a decision.

I wouldn't try to do both Anilao and PG in such a short time. There's too much time and overhead in changing locations there even when they seem relatively close and are theoretically a simple boat ride apart. Both places are mostly macro destinations anyway, unless you catch a trip to Verde Island from PG. I've been to PG (Sabang) but not Anilio yet, but I'd lean towards Anilio in your case to avoid the boat ride to PG. (Especially since your trip is very soon and there seems some uncertainly with the ferries right now - see Batangas to Sabang ferry discontinued July 1?). You don't say what time your flight out is, but skipping the ferry might make it easier to make. Manila traffic is a mess, and the airport is no prize either, so you want to leave plenty of time.

(If I ever went back to to PG, personally I'd avoid Sebang Beach like the plague, I really didn't like the area. Too much of a congested dump for my taste. I'd probably look into Big Lalaguna or maybe White Beach. But that's me.)

Last edited:
If you have to be in Manila airport on the 21st, as Damselfish says, that is a strong argument for Anilao. What fun to be in PG when a storm blows up and no boat can get you back to Batangas!
Also, Anilao has more to offer than macro. Though the most colourful sites, if I recall correctly, also had currents. Hope someone will chime in here with a good resort recommendation where they will guide and teach you well.

Adverse weather condition can suddenly make the crossing of the channel impossible!!! All the ferry was suspended for 5 days last month!!!
With such a short time available, Anilao is preferred.

good point, I wasn't even thinking about weather causing problems with the crossing. We met people on a trip that almost happened to, would have missed their flight to meet their liveaboard.

I agree with the others regarding Anilao over PG for an impromptu trip. The weather is great today, but unpredictable this time of year, so the ride to PG could be less than pleasant or cancelled.

You mentioned cost... I would like to point out that most of Anilao's resorts are all inclusive. Most run a day rate including overnight stay, 3 or 4 meals, water/coffee/juice, and unlimited air for shore dives. Boat dives do come at an additional cost, as does beer/alcohol. So I find that the cost is equal or slightly cheaper in Anilao, especially if you factor in ferry cost to PG.

Both Anilao and PG (especially Verde island) are fantastic macro destinations. Hundreds of new nudi and other macro species have been "discovered", documented, and named within the Anilao-PG-Verde area.

Good luck and enjoy!!

You also mention vibrant activities and the waterfalls of PG.... The falls are cool, very beautiful, but take about 45 mins to get to by jeepney. It is a pleasant journey, great views and sightseeing, but maybe not after 3 dives in a day. Maybe during SI between early am dive and afternoon or night dive would work well.

And yes, the PG night life is pretty good, even for those who are not into the more "mature?" scene. But as mentioned above, Anilao may be better suited for an impromptu trip....

There is even a 9 holes course up in the mountain.
Well unless the op wants a 3 days all action trip(day and night) to burn off his energy otherwise Anilao should fit the bill.

Hahaha, I totally forgot about the 9 hole course. I've always wanted to play it, but not looking forward to hauling my clubs over to PG :wink: As I understand, the course is walking only (no carts).

Thanks for all the input. Guess I'll stay put with Anilao. My flight back is 2:15pm, so don't wanna risk uncertainties due to weather.....

Back
Top Bottom