Help Please! Planning 1st Dive Trip to Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter, Bryan is a travel agent that specializes in scuba diving and scuba dive travel. He does not work for Splash. I am writing this post from Toronto as we have just finished attending the Ultimate Travel Show in Toronto (as the third destination after meeting with travel agents in Vancouver and Calgary. We will be here next month for another trade show. We find that Ontario is a very good market and have very good divers (they dive in tough conditions - very cold water).
You are a little behind the times on the Placencia scene - Splash is the largest dive operator in Placencia with 5 dive boats ranging from 25 to 46 feet, has the only scuba retail store in the southern half of Belize and we have an extensive inland tour operation through our affiliate company called Quest For Adventure in Belize with Splash Ltd. You need to come down and dive with us so you can get updated.
Bryan, thank you for helping to spread the word on Splash.
PS I am Canadian so have an affinity for telling Canadians there is a warm place on this planet that they would enjoy visiting.

Peter, Splash attends 6 to 8 trade shows outside of Belize every year to publicize our business. We actively seek out travel agents in this regard in their home countries, and welcome visits by them to our dive center. We work very hard to spread the word on Belize and we get a lot of help from people who come to us as customers and leave as friends. At the Toronto trade show we had 5 people from Toronto helping us - and they help because they had a great experience in Belize and a great experience with Splash.

Regards
Ralph

Last edited:
Peter
I have more than 40 dive operators that I work with in the Caribbean alone. I am impartial and do not support any one over the other, but try to get the right fit for my customers. Take a look at my website, which does not have all my operators on, SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME. We offer more diving package options than ANY other travel agent in Canada. If you disagree with any recommendations I make on this board, please let me know. But I feel I give the best options and put them out there for people to book themselves, or use my services if they so choose.

Cheers
Bryan

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2013 at 12:25 PM ----------

Bryan, if you have the time to dig through the last few years, you can find quite a few TIR trip reports on this Forum.

Yes I agree, and have read them all. But nothing beats up to date. Staff change, resorts deteriorate reefs get damaged in storms etc.......

Thanks for the info, Bryan and Ralph. I remembered Patty and Ralph had a manager in place but I couldn't remember who it was. My apologies!

Can anyone give me a month-by-month run-down of typical weather and water conditions in Belize in spring and fall? I've been there twice. Both times at Long Caye, Glover's Reef. One year in late April and early May. It was delightfully hot, the water was warm, but outside the reef the sea was so rough that on the worst days, in five minutes I was very seasick. One year I was there in mid-December, and it was unpleasantly chilly, and the sea was even rougher. I've been to Little Cayman in June, and it was so hot that when not on the boat or under water, I could not stay out of doors for more than a few minutes at a time.

I'll come right out and say that I'm a wimp. Extreme heat and humidity take all the energy out of me, cold weather makes me unhappy, I don't like cold water, and rough seas make me seasick. Winter is out because of the rough seas more common then and the colder weather. Summer is out because that's when I go hiking up in Canada (my favorite activity). So that leaves spring before the end of June, and fall after middle to late September.

Within those limits, what's the best time for a wimp like me to dive in Belize? (Based on the above posts, I'm leaning toward Turneffe.)

Danie1948, I've heard that the Belizean sea can be like glass if you time it right in between hurricane activity. However it is also quite warm at that time.

I've been trying to think of a suitable helpful reply to Daniel, but so far I haven't found one. His requirements seem so narrow, that although conditions here are often ideal I wouldn't want to mislead him into thinking anyone can guarantee them. That combined with the fact that the weather is not really predictable these days...

I've been trying to think of a suitable helpful reply to Daniel, but so far I haven't found one. His requirements seem so narrow, that although conditions here are often ideal I wouldn't want to mislead him into thinking anyone can guarantee them. That combined with the fact that the weather is not really predictable these days...
Peter, I don't expect guarantees. What I'm looking for are averages, so that I can improve my chances. I know I'm always taking a chance, which is maybe why it's been two years since I've gone diving. (And yes, I know that I'll need to arrange to have an instructor for a checkout/refresher dive. With only 116 dives logged, I consider myself an experienced beginner.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom