Help Please! Planning 1st Dive Trip to Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am an experienced diver (500+) but have never been to Belize. Which Island/Atoll or dive region should I visit to see the best Belize has to offer? Will be staying 6-7 nights, planning on 3-4 dives/day. Any recommendations?

A group of us just got back from Ambergris Caye, San Padro, Belize end of February. Unfortunately, we were skunked and most of us only got 2 of 9 dives and a snorkel in due to high winds/seas on the reef. Our 1st dive was interesting getting back on the boat with 10-12' swells... Not kidding, have photos to prove it. Watching the boat heave up and down, working your way to the ladder NOT fun. The joke was who "hasn't heaved" yet! The local DMs we talked with said February is NOT a good month to visit due to potential for high winds. Reminded me of East End, Grand Cayman with always on 20-25 knot winds, which is why I stay on SMB or North Side there. In all fairness, the day we were leaving, Feb 27, was calm and would have been perfect for diving. The two dives were interesting as there were a number of nurse sharks and turtles. Did not see much in the way of coral or fish for photo ops, IMO.

So we enjoyed the island food/drink and local shopping, some went on the tours. Black Orchid was my favorite restaurant and Sunsets was fun and on the lagoon side where we could feed the tarpon. Kind of like The Wharf in Grand Cayman, but a much smaller scale with boat slips, etc. Lazy Croc BBQ was a good local spot on the other side of the bridge with a lazy croc hanging around directly below us.

As we pre-paid for all the dives, I am working on the details of a credit of some sort. Will only do pay-as-you-go dives in the future if this is not resolved.

My fav dive vacations are Cozumel (5visits), Little Cayman (1visit) and Grand Cayman (40+visits). At least in GCM if the winds are rough on SMB you can go to the North Side for calm, in many cases. In my experience, they wouldn't take you out in the high sea conditions we experienced.

Good Luck!

A group of us just got back from Ambergris Caye, San Padro, Belize end of February. Unfortunately, we were skunked and most of us only got 2 of 9 dives and a snorkel in due to high winds/seas on the reef. Our 1st dive was interesting getting back on the boat with 10-12' swells... Not kidding, have photos to prove it. Watching the boat heave up and down, working your way to the ladder NOT fun. The joke was who "hasn't heaved" yet! The local DMs we talked with said February is NOT a good month to visit due to potential for high winds. Reminded me of East End, Grand Cayman with always on 20-25 knot winds, which is why I stay on SMB or North Side there. In all fairness, the day we were leaving, Feb 27, was calm and would have been perfect for diving. The two dives were interesting as there were a number of nurse sharks and turtles. Did not see much in the way of coral or fish for photo ops, IMO.

Yeah, we had some rough weather in Feb.
If you come for diving that time of year, it's best to go to the atholls. Without having to deal with rough seas, you can go to the lee side in any wind pretty much. And it's the best diving anyway.

Sunny, who did you dive with?

Anyone have any experience with Isla Marisol resort at Glovers Reef? How is the resort and diving? And what is the likelihood of success of seeing a whale shark on those dives during the season?

The best diving, wall starts at 40ft down to 250ft first drop off. Once you arrive on the Island get ready to relax and enjoy real Caribbean private Island lifestyle. Great food, comfortable cabanas, great and friendly staff. 36 mile's off the coast with 80 sq. mile of Wall Dive. Fullmoon starting June we have the spawning of the BatFish, possible late Whalshark at Gladden Spit and over 50 dive site just 5-15 mins. from the resort. Nitrox available, good dive boat ranging from 25ft to 45ft and most important Isla Marisol Resort has cold beers. The only Bar on the Atoll, see you in Paradise..

Isla Marisol Resort

Sister Lodge inside the main Barrier Reef called Fantasy Island Eco resort, offering guest the opportunity to dive the main Barrier Reef, Explore the Mayan Ruins, Cave's and other inland adventure and return to your private Island for great meals, cocktails and great comfortable cabana's for 2 people sharing. come share the adventure, combine your trip between Fanatsy Island Eco Resort and Isla Marisol Resort. See you soon..

Fantasy Island Eco-Resort |

Back
Top Bottom