Help!!! Questions!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJ Waid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am in the process of divemaster, I am going to be an instructor by the end of the summer.

I have a problem though, I honestly know nothing about what is COOL and what isn't COOL when it comes to equipment...

I like Aqualung, simply because I heard that they have excellent programs for instructors.

BUT, right now I don't know the difference between a brand new 1,000 dollar reg and an old beat up one that someone made in their garage out of parts that they pulled out of an old lawn mower... ya know what I mean???

As far as I am concerned (Personally) a reg is a reg, as long as it is functioning the way it was designed to... That is my problem, I know nothing about features, etc...

I know that I need to know this stuff to be taken seriously as an instructor, so this is my start...

I NEED opinions and stuff on equipment, mostly Regs and BC's (I know about the new i3, but that is about the extent of my knowledge on what is cool).

THANK YOU..........

Black is cool....blue H's are really cool...and a $1,000 reg is definitely the coolest.

So seriously, while I own plenty of black colored stuff and a few items from Halcyon, as long as it does the job in a safe and effective manner, it's fine.

What is safe? Well-maintained (clean, serviced, correctly stored) gear operating according to MFR specifications sounds like a good start.
What is effective? If it does its advertised job without undue stress or unnecessary additional gimmicks.

If you're going to be working in a dive shop, they'll likely appreciate (and more likely, ask) you sell the brands they carrry and service. Some folks will tell you Aqualung is best, some will say Scubapro, others Zeagle. If you ask 10 different instructors which brand reg is the best, you'll get 12 different answers b/c two of them will change their minds. Most of that has to do with the brand reg they purchased and own and currently use. They wouldn't have spent their money on it, and wouldn't use it, if they didn't feel it was best (for them).

If you do end up working in a shop, over time, you may come to discover what you feel is a difference in level of customer service between brands. You will feel certain brands do great and certain brands don't live up to basic expectations. This should be more valuable to you than most other things.

As far as wanting specific info about BCs, Regs, and other equipment - stop by a local shop (or your shop if you will work for one), and pick up a book/brochure on the gear they carry. Aqualung dealers usually have free Aqualung books laying out w/ all their equipment and info on each one (BCs, Regs, Masks, Wetsuits, etc.). Scubapro does the same, and I'm sure many other mfrs do also. Pick up one of these take-me books and read up on the selection. Any specific questions you may have after that, or if you're just looking for some more info, stop by the "Equipment of Scuba Diving" section of the board: http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

You'll find lots of helpful info on Regs, BCs, and just about any other diving accoutrement.

Good luck.

SparticleBrane:
How many dives do you have?

...I'd like to know as well. Methinks maybe you might need a few more spins around the underwater block before you take on the responsibility of teaching others...

DSD

If you are asking what's cool from a seasoned diver point of view - it would be anything that is different. Like I dive a Kirby Morgan Superflow regulator which you won't find at the local dive store.

If you want to be a Divemaster and/or Instructor through a shop - heed the advice of hydo12, and buy your stuff at that shop so you can show it off. Most shops will provide discounts to their DM's and Instructors just for that purpose.

Also, check what brands your favorite shop carries and services. I also have a preference for Sherwood, but only Sheerwood dealers will service my equipment.

I have no desire to be a DM (no matter how much my LDS pushes) and no inclination to be an instructor.
Hey, THAT explains why I don't dive with "cool" stuff! My rig is simple and utilitarian, and I could care less if it matches someone else's $1500 gear. I know a few divers who have state of the art equipment, but they don't get underwater often enough to know what their computer is telling them.
In short, learn about the equipment as you go. With more exposure, you'll be able to answer other folks' questions when they ask about it. The key is more experience.

Why do I have to be the bad guy? It's scary to think that someone who has the desire to go pro doesn't know what makes a $1000 reg worth a $1000. A lot that makes equipment cost what it dose are added safety features. The things that motivate someone to pursue a career in diving are synonymous with the things that intrigue a diver with the gear involved, how it works and the features that are available. I sure hope you read up and become knowledgeable about gear before you're in a position to impart upon impressionable minds. The dive rags are chocked full of gear reviews and comparisons. That'd be a good place to start.

Every manufacturer has a good model, a better model and a best model. Pick up a few brochures and look at web sites for different manufacturers and read about the different models, and the differences between the models.

For example, a cheaper reg might not be able to work with a high pressure tank. A more expensive reg (like the Atomic T1) might be manufactured out of titanium to cut down on corrosion on the inner workings of the 1st stage. You know, stuff like that.

You don't need to know about what's cool, but you need to know about the features that set apart a higher priced reg from a cheaper one. As an instructor or a dive master your opinion matters to new divers. Being able to say "Well, I dive this one b/c it has blah blah blah" is a good skill to have. Being able to ask the question "Well, why is that one so much more expensive?" is an important skill to have.

If you are going to teach out of a shop, it's important to review their product lines, and the promotional materials that go with those products so you can speak intelligently about them.

Jay_SMART_Diver:
Some shops also require that if you are going to DM or Instruct out of their shop that you use the gear that they sell. (A practice that I don't particularly agree with)

I don't see a huge problem with this. To a certain degree of course. If the shop is enabling you to teach by providing students and facilities, utilizing their gear (as long as it meets your needs) over other brands of gear (all else being equal) I don't think is an unreasonable request. And in all likelihood, you're going to get instructor pricing as well. It has to be a symbiotic relationship. If you're teaching independently, then do what you want.

Back
Top Bottom