Help!!! Questions!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CJ the responses you are getting are warranted. Just because you have a cert. card does not necessarily qualify you for a particular type of diving (teaching).

What equipment did you use for Ice diving cert? In most cases that is considered an overhead environment, so you should have most likely been suited for full tech. What is your current config?

By the way failing to respond to the questions is not going to get you any help at all.

Most of the responses seem to be pointed at my lack of ability... Well, don't worry about that, I am more than capable, and skilled enough, to handle it... My instructor is pretty good, he has worked any weak spots he could find out of me.

BUT, there again, he owns a shop (I won't be working for a shop, I am a personal trainer and I have a girl that will be selling my services as both a trainer and a dive instructor, she is very experienced in both fields) So, since he owns a shop I can't really ask him about ALL the different brands, because... Well... I would be biased too... NOW, moving forward, I can't dive with every brand, well... because I am not rich, and I can't totally count on other peoples opinions because well... most of the time the like their gear because they have to... they bought it.

Now, lets say I dive with an old BC I garbage picked and a reg with holes in the hose that was handed down to me from some old wise scuba guy named yoda...

Backing up, the reason I am asking this question (the original question, what do you like and WHY) is to see how many WHY's I get and to have a starting point for researching the WHY's....

EXAMPLE: I like my Cressi Super Dooper Diver BC because the material that makes up the shoulder harness is quite comfortable... and the weight pockets seem to be further up front than other BC's I have tried, for this or that reason...

Someone asked me what type of equipment I used when I went ice diving, something about tech... NOPE, good ole' wetsuit and a regular old scuba unit (the only difference was a harness)...

But the question wasn't about my abilities, skills, etc.... you don't have the right to question that unless you are paying me, teaching me, or diving with me... and I won't question yours.

CJ Waid:
But the question wasn't about my abilities, skills, etc.... you don't have the right to question that unless you are paying me, teaching me, or diving with me... and I won't question yours.

Your "abilities" comes into question because of your first question. "What equipment is COOL"

"cool" doesn't matter for ****. Quality, durability, and function are what make equipment good. I have to agree. I don't think you're ready yet. Quit trying to go from zero to hero. Spend some time diving first.

Comrade Stroke

As an instructor, you become a role model for your students, both as to technique and equipment.

I purchased a Conshelf 14 reg because my instructor used it, he said it was good, and I didn't know any different, and Dave was "cool". It was a great reg, not as expensive as the scubapro equivalent, but for the kind of diving I do it did the job and still does. I still use it 23 years later.

You are on the right track on a couple of different accounts. You are aware of the influence you have on students and you are asking people what they think of different brands. I guess I would think of your market. If you are doing strictly private lessons, the word that comes to my mind is "upscale clientel". And while the purists will roast me, I think an upscale clientel expects to see their instructor in "upscale" equipment. I use middle of the line equipment because those were the people I taught and that was the equipment that fit my needs and budget. Upscale does not mean fake or ostentatious. It is great equipment that reflects the market segment that you seek to sell your services to. My Ford does not look like a Lexis for good reasons.

We are not questioning your ability but your experience. Ability and experience are two different things. I may have the ability to do something but not very much experience doing it. Taking a class is just the beginning of the learning process. Experience provides a foundation to help make correct decisions and reactions when things don't go as expected.

CJ Waid:
you don't have the right to question that unless you are paying me, teaching me, or diving with me... and I won't question yours.
Sorry, but prudent divers (and aspiring divers) should definately question the experience and qualification of their instructors... BEFORE agreeing to pay them a plugged nickel. It's the best way to insure they get their training from someone who knows what they're talking about. IMHO, any instructor who says "You don't have any right to ask" isn't worth hearing the answer from... it implies insecurity and a lack of comfort, and should be major red flag warning.

In any case, there is a ton of opinion on various pieces of gear on scubaboard. Rather than answering a "let's re-invent the wheel" question, I'll suggest doing some reading in the equipment forums. You might start with Backplate and Wing (BP/W) rigs, the Mares H.U.B., and threads with high post counts.

CJ Waid:
Most of the responses seem to be pointed at my lack of ability... Well, don't worry about that, I am more than capable, and skilled enough, to handle it... My instructor is pretty good, he has worked any weak spots he could find out of me.

BUT, there again, he owns a shop (I won't be working for a shop, I am a personal trainer and I have a girl that will be selling my services as both a trainer and a dive instructor, she is very experienced in both fields) So, since he owns a shop I can't really ask him about ALL the different brands, because... Well... I would be biased too... NOW, moving forward, I can't dive with every brand, well... because I am not rich, and I can't totally count on other peoples opinions because well... most of the time the like their gear because they have to... they bought it.

I think all the responses have been well intended to help you in your journey.

As for equipment, you can do a lot of internet research (even this forum, under "equipment") and through the manufacturers sites. My philosophy has been understanding the students long-term goals in diving, and/or where most of their diving will take place. Why convince someone to buy a $1,000 reg when they plan only to dive at warm water resorts (once or twice a year), and stay swallow (<60'). That could be the deciding factor on the type of reg, whether the second stage is balanced or unbalanced (cost difference as well). Or, the type of BC between a jacket style and back inflate. Much of this will come down to personal perference, but you must have the basic undertanding as it will be important on your path to becoming a DM & Instructor.

Personally, I have an Aqua Lung Titan (very solid reg) my first reg and still reliable (use in the pool sessions mostly), and a ScubaPro Mk25/S600 for the O/W. BC is a SP Knight Hawk (comforatable and fits great), where my son dives a plate/wing set-up. Again, personal perference & research.

Good luck on your going Pro.

Once you start working for your dive shop, as their salesperson, these questions will become apparent:
The "coolest" or best equipment is often the one that sells the most or makes the shop the most $$.
Most hoses, BCD, wetsuits are black, so black has been in vogue for a while, but pink, blue and red are catching up.
But seriously, if you don't talk to your boss, talk to other divers, and read the material on equipment/dive theory in your DM encylopedia - it should tell you what good equipment should be made of (e.g., different algorithms for N2 in computers, piston/diaphragm reg 1st stage, whether one is better over another, like many things in life, is usually subjective) and check out SB and other dive-related websites, magazines like Rodales SD, Dive Training etc. In future, you can travel to DEMA, and other dive industry-sponsored trade shows to meet other folks like you, as well as dive industry professionals - these should increase your knowledge a good deal. In the meantime, get as many dives and participate in or organize diver socials/community activities (such as Earth Day clean-up dives, weekend dives etc) to get the diving experience and meet other divers.
Good luck.

I went out and bought an Aqua Lung Micra cus I thought, damn, thats cool!!!! its soo small why aren't more people using it.....

Well, after a number of dives and trying to take pictures I found out why... the exhaust ports are too close together and makes bubbles in front of your mask.

So the moral of this story is..... whats COOL may not ALWAYS work the best.
Experience is what determines if its cool or not..

CJ Waid:
I NEED opinions and stuff on equipment, mostly Regs and BC's

NO, you need understanding about gear. Spend some quality time in the gear forums here and as part of your DM program see if you can intern in the shop.

Bullet points from an internet chat board are no substitute for knowledge and understanding. As a DM or instructor you should possess no less.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom