Help!!! Questions!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driftin' by:
Why do I have to be the bad guy? It's scary to think that someone who has the desire to go pro doesn't know what makes a $1000 reg worth a $1000.
That was my point in post #2...I was wondering if anyone else would catch on. :)

CJ Waid:
I am in the process of divemaster, I am going to be an instructor by the end of the summer.

I have a problem though, I honestly know nothing about what is COOL and what isn't COOL when it comes to equipment...

I know that I need to know this stuff to be taken seriously as an instructor, so this is my start...

you're joking, right?

right?

Everyone has to start somewhere. I'd rather see a potential instructor ask about this stuff on a forum than give out bad information later on.

I would also suggest making friends with the repair tech at your LDS. Pick your friend's brain about things he/she has seen in the course or repairing regs. Ask about which models come in for repair the most, which ones are the hardest to repair, etc. Ask your friend to teach you the basics or regulator maintenance and repair too.

You know that your information on regulators is lacking. Other than asking on a forum, what are you going to do about your lacking this information? RESEARCH!

I think maybe you need to slow down a little. You're talking about rocketing through DM and onto instructor by the end of the summer, and you don't know anything about equipment? How about your own equipment? Surely you must know a little about the stuff you dive yourself? Speaking candidly, I wouldn't want to take an OW course from a guy that rushed through so fast. I've been diving for 14 years, and am just getting into my DM now, and expect to remain a DM for a couple years before I jump into Instructor. Maybe you need to step back, take a breath, and re-evaluate the plan.

Isn't there a whole section in the DM program about equipment? I know it's part of the exam, too. Why not read those bits in the Encyclopedia as a start, and then learn about all the gimmicks that the manufacturers have.

SparticleBrane:
That was my point in post #2...I was wondering if anyone else would catch on. :)

No, I got your point that no one else was... I just thought I'd make it a little more obvious hence my opening comment about being the "bad guy". :D

Jimmer:
I think maybe you need to slow down a little. You're talking about rocketing through DM and onto instructor by the end of the summer, and you don't know anything about equipment? How about your own equipment? Surely you must know a little about the stuff you dive yourself? Speaking candidly, I wouldn't want to take an OW course from a guy that rushed through so fast. I've been diving for 14 years, and am just getting into my DM now, and expect to remain a DM for a couple years before I jump into Instructor. Maybe you need to step back, take a breath, and re-evaluate the plan.

Ditto...

BTW... if you look at this guys other posts, he's been asking a LOT of questions about this DM -> Instructor -> owning his own dive instruction business pipe-dream which quite frankly is scary. Non disclosure of logged dives makes me cringe with aspirations like this. Not saying that no one cannot breeze through an IDC and not become a competent instructor but one has to think that that the successful candidate would educate themselves on every aspect of the industry one their own before just jumping right in. Shiny plastic cards don't count for anything! Just my .02.

You are doing yourself a disservice by asking abotu opinions first. If you are serious about learning the nuts and bolts of equipment, I suggest you start with the NOAA and NAVY diving manuals.

An easier-to-digest intro would be to read PADI's Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving. I hear NAUI has a nice text as well.

Once you have some background, read the Regulator Companion Oxyhacker book.

see the list of equipment that I dive with if you want to know what is "cool."

that condition is largely self defining. If it were not "the best" nor "the coolest" I wouldn't be diving with it.

I had a marketing professor tell me once that "quality" was a combination of price, function, and style. But, these were in no particular importance and no particular order. No one carries any more weight than any other, except to the individual and those around around him.

Remember, there is nothing as hard on a diver's gear as another diver who has different gear.

Don;t worry, if you work for an LDS, what is cool will be whatever they happen to sell.

I once had lengthy IM discussions with a Socal diver named Mario about what equipment was hot and what was not. These were fun as a way to discuss different info. I kind of miss those discussions. So Mario, if you are out there, give me a holler.

This is one of the major problems with the industry. Way too easy to buy your way into a job with $$ when you should buy in with experience. And we wonder why there are so many incompetent divers out there, the inexperienced teaching those with no experience.

Back
Top Bottom