Help! what to buy now so I can use it later?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crock

Contributor
Reaction score
So what is a good set up for someone just getting into bp/w?

What should i buy a diverite hog with plate and wing, oms, halcyon, which brand should i get?

Looking for something that i may take into tech diving with me in the future.
I dont want to keep switching my gear. I rather get it now, use it, know it, live it. I do understand that i will need a different wing for single or doubles.:confused:

Deep Sea Supply. Give Tobin a call, his gear is top-notch and he will personally ensure that your rig is perfect for you.

Peace,
Greg

Give Brian a call at Indian Valley Scuba. He will make sure you have the best package from over 165 manufacturers! 800-825-2452 will get you started!

BP&W is a modular concept. It can grow and provide for your diving needs as they evolve.

Start with the harness. Get a basic 'Hog' harness. Once it is adjusted correctly it is like a second skin. Only upgrade to a complex (and expensive) cinch/comfort or deluxe harness if you later feel it is necessary (most don't).

Then decide on your backplate. The choice of stainless steel, aluminium or plastic will be determined primarily by your buoyancy requirements. However, weight plays an issue if you will be travelling regularly with the kit (and subject to excess baggage charges). Give us an idea about your diving (current weight used, wet/drysuit buoyancy etc) and we can help you decide what is best.

Then decide on the wing lift that you need. Search for the 'Wing Buoyancy Calculator' thread here on SB. Typically, you will have the option of 18lb, 30lb and 40lb wing sizes for a single tank wing.

Choice between brands is dictated by your budget. Wings vary in quality and the material used for construction. Brands differ in respect of customer service and warranty. Don't think that you have to buy a 'complete system' from any single manufacturer - in most cases the backplate, harness and wing itself is inter-changable between brands.

When you move into tech diving, you will only have to swap the wing. You shouldn't compromise on a wing that may be advertised as 'good for both single and double cylinders'. There isn't a wing made that is optimal for both. You only have to undo 2 screws to change a wing over... so it isn't a drama to swap between single and double cylinders when you want to.

The Oxycheq Mach V Extreme is the most rugged wing on the market. Whilst expensive, it offers benefits for wreck diving, where abrasion and puncture are hazards.

Halcyon is expensive, but they have a consistant high quality and the warranty/customer service is excellent.

DSS is represented here on SB by the owner, Tobin (coolhardware52). He does an excellent job in providing personal service and advice to his customers. Highly recommended.

OMS and Diverite make good kit, but (IMHO) are more middle-of-the-road in respect of quality, attention to detail and customer service. There's nothing wrong with their kit. Consider these as 'budget' options.

I have the following:

Halcyon Ali backplate and hog harness (for travelling).
Custom Divers SS backplate and hog harness (for home).
Halcyon Evolve 40 (for doubles)
Custom Divers TDB Double Bladder (for doubles, but I rarely use it now)
Halcyon Eclipse (for singles).... will be getting an Oxycheq Mach V Extreme 18lb (for tropics) next.

I mix and match the kit depending on my requirements.

The Oxycheq Mach V Extreme is the most rugged wing on the market. Whilst expensive, it offers benefits for wreck diving, where abrasion and puncture are hazards.

I'v seen you recommend this wing for this purpose before. Do you really think a wreck penetration, or any real overhead, is safe on a single tank?

I don't have much to say after Andy's post. However, I'll toss another vote towards calling Tobin. When I was buying my first BP/W setup I sent him countless emails and he got my setup with my current gear. The equipment is top notch won't break the bank either.

I'v seen you recommend this wing for this purpose before. Do you really think a wreck penetration, or any real overhead, is safe on a single tank?

I never mentioned or implied that single tank was suitable for penetration, did I?

I just find that the construction of the 'extreme' wing is highly suitable for an environment where jagged metal and projections are the norm... inside or outside of a wreck.

I never mentioned or implied that single tank was suitable for penetration, did I?

Well yes, I'm afraid you have implied that single tanks are fine for penetrations.

This is the root of my misunderstanding, the Mach V's are single tank wings. With the above quote however, it's obvious you mean the Vertex series doubles wing when you suggest wreck penetrations.

I was in a similiar situation about a year or so ago. After debating the rent vs. buy, it became time to decide what to buy.

Honestly, I didn't really even look at Halycon. The higher price for a first-time rig made it unjustifiable to me.

For me the choice was between Diverite and DSS. I went with DSS. I had, and still do, read and see how much Tobin helps and supports the SB community. Dive Rite however is sold in a lot of LDS, and as such local support may be easier to obtain. However, a lot of people dive this gear. So when I had the chance to get a great product, with great service/support, and could have gear that not everyone has - my decision was made.

Regarding the single vs. double setup. I too initially had that same train of thought, just swap out the wings. Then I started researching what it actually costs to get into doubles. At this point I would suggest asking yourself "What kind of diving would I do that I would want/need doubles?" Then start adding up all of the costs for gear (and training!!) to do those dives. I just did this the other day and the costs came close to $2,600 for just equipment; more for training. So when one considers these costs it almost becomes trivial if you should just swap the wing over, or just buy a second backplate and harness.

All of the advice above is well written but missed the mark. Your expectation that you can make a purchase now that will still fit your needs later is rich. It makes the assumption that you will be diving the same way later.
My advice is to buy used, on the cheap. After you dive the setup you will learn what you like and what you do not. Then start making purchases to meet those goals, based on what your diving looks like at the time. Get someone who is experianced with bpw to help you set it up or you may be basing your dis- likes on improper set up.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom