Help with diving choices West Palm Beach area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boynton sounds like a good choice. The reefs get deeper as you go north. West Palm Beach is a bit deeper than
Boynton, than even deeper in Jupiter. Boynton is really the beginning of the drift diving as you head north.
You tend to find a fair amount of anchored dives and wreck dives pompano and south but as you get to Boynton
and north it is mostly drift diving with some wreck diving. Most of the Boynton Charters are all at the same dock
which is convenient. East to west on that dock if my memory serves me correctly is Loggerhead, Pelican Charters,
The Deeper may still be there, Starfish Charters, Underwater Explorers, and Splashdown. I don't have a favorite in
west palm beach but in Boynton Pelican Charters, Starfish, and Loggerhead I have used a fair amount and have
also dove Underwater Explorers and had a good trip.

I would try Ocean Quest Scuba (Sandy's Sunday) for the dive boat in WPB. She is very good with youth divers and very accommodating of their skill levels. My 12 year old daughter did her OW and ADV dives from her boat. I personally prefer Narcosis Dive Charters but think highly of Sandy's Sundays handling of youth divers and between them, they are the only boats I dive in the area. WPB is great for drift diving and they have fairly good reefs. They probably would take you on Breakers, Flower Gardens and such. Have a great time in the area.

The current in WPB and Jupiter can be anywhere from robust to nominal or abscent: a lot of people get trained here and have less experience than you and your son and have had few problems. I'm not sure I'd worry about it too terribly much: I've heard (but not experienced) that Cancun currents are similar (someone else can weigh in and indicate if I am correct).

One of the boats that usually sends down multiple DM's is the Scuba Club: they are great with new divers, but don't have very many two tank trips so you'd have a trade off between a lot of personal attention and fewer number of dives compared to other operators. I also agree that Jim Abernathy is a good choice too, especially if they are planning to dive the Breakers reef which about 60 feet or so.

I think the first reef line in Pompano is beautiful as long as the wave action is not too bad. Depths are 20-30 feet and operators usually tie off to a mooring ball line unless the current is strong, with strong currents they'll conduct the dive as a drift. I've been out with Scubatyme, Pompano Dive Ctr and South Florida Dive HQ. You might also want to think about contacting Gold Coast Scuba since they have a Meetup club that regularly does beach dives in Lauderdale by the Sea: very easy diving (if the wave action is not bad).

Consider Boynton too: Underwater Explorers sends down a guide and I've had good experiences when I've been on the boat.

Jupiter is great diving, but is deeper: 70 on top of the reef line and 80-90 in the sand. In my opinion, diving in Jupiter without being Nitrox certified is a waste of time since you'll have pretty short dives. I routinely use Jupiter Dive Center: great operator. But if you are diving air, keep in mind that you and your son will be surfacing by yourself since the Nitrox breathing DM will stay down with the other divers who are on Nitrox (this is true of all the operators in Jupiter, I presume).

Enjoy your trip!

Txredneck,

As you can see, you won't find a shortage of outstanding diving in South Florida. Boynton Beach, WPB, Pompano Beach...you can't go wrong. If you are in the area, you really should give the World Famous Blue Heron Bridge a try. It is a good alternative if you find the seas unfriendly that day.

You've already received a lot of good advice, but please give us a call if you need any further assistance. We have three locations here in South Florida, and we can help you with everything from supplying a dive guide to equipment rentals.

Cheers,

Check out our dive boat (6 pack) in Boynton / Lanatana. Lots of room, easy wide ladder and access to the transom dive platform. We a no stress attitude. Visit our web site and check out our boat pictures -- Calypso Dive Charters | Lantana Dive Charters | Palm Beach Dive Charters. Call 1-855-4-GO-DIVE (46-3683)

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm thinking to go with Parrot for 4 dives, and Underwater Explorers for 2 maybe 4 dives.

And Force-E, while I did not book any dives with y'all for this trip, I did submit an order for 2 Aqua Lung Axiom I3's a couple hours ago through your online store...

Tanks, Redneck

Jupiter is great diving, but is deeper: 70 on top of the reef line and 80-90 in the sand. In my opinion, diving in Jupiter without being Nitrox certified is a waste of time since you'll have pretty short dives. I routinely use Jupiter Dive Center: great operator. But if you are diving air, keep in mind that you and your son will be surfacing by yourself since the Nitrox breathing DM will stay down with the other divers who are on Nitrox (this is true of all the operators in Jupiter, I presume).

Enjoy your trip!

I wouldn't rule out Jupiter for new divers. You'll get 25-30 minutes with an aluminum air tank. I have found nitrox for new divers can be a waste of money. Most new divers exhaust the air in their tank before nitrox would extend their bottom time anyway. However, West Palm Beach diving will afford them more bottom time. Dive around. Try both.

United Caribbean for new divers is a good choice. I remember doing one of my checkouts on it. Saw my first turtle there! If you get a chance i would do a shore dive at either Blue Heron or Lauderdale by the Sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom