Help with gear configuration for Intro to Cave class.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa, Sounds like fun I'm jealous. I like Bill and his bunch too. BTW, my former cave instructor was Bill's original OW instructor and is the one who got him cave diving in the first place. They started sidemount together with LH.

Maybe I'll come down and do a class with you one of these days. How old are you again? Kidding honest just kidding...LOL

I am glad to see that you did so much research and took the issue seriously. You did what many others should do as well, and in the end you go the right gear. Halcyon is definitely the way to go, and I don't care what anyone says DIR is the right way, and it looks like you take that seriously as well. Because of that you and many other dives will have comfort in knowing all aspects of each other's gear configurations. Just remember when you get into deeper penetrations the Explorer wings and doubles will be your next credit card purchase.

Great job, and safe diving!

I just want to know your opinions (and I'm sure there will be many) about the combination caver/intro cave courses that are offered. Some are a short as 3 days for both certifications. It can save money not only on the course fees, but on trips to Florida for us out-of-towners.

To me, it seems a natural and short progression from the cavern to the intro cave course. I would never say the same thing about the jump from intro cave to full cave.

What do y'all think?

Ken

I haven't ever heard of caver and intro being done in three days but I don't see anything wrong with doint the two at one if your comfortable. Some are better off getting some experience before doing full cave but that depends on tha person also. Even though some don't like the one week full cave course there still isn't anything stopping you from doing little divers before big ones. I would recommend carefully picking an instructor and then talking it over with them.

I guess that you have take the course, and I you like it, then take the full cave, and if you want to go further, and after 50 cave dives, your are ready to buy your own equipment. Styles are differents and you have very good brand where to choice... like dive rite, oms, and so on....

I have no relationship to GUE at all. The DIR type course is not GUE. I would not qualify to teach GUE courses. I lack the training and experience to be a GUE instructor. GUE does not sponsor or support any of my activities, nor will they. The witch hunt is hilarious. Have fun guys. I'm going diving. Keep typing

Cheers and safe diving,
Jamie

Due to inflation, the cost of a DIR PADI Cavern course has increased to $72,524.12 This sum must be paid up front. Also, The student must provide the instructor with a Hummer for the duration of the class. IF student makes a joke, said student will be thrown out of the class because humor is not DIR.

Lighten up. It was all in fun.

Jamie

Divesherpa once bubbled...
Due to inflation, the cost of a DIR PADI Cavern course has increased to $72,524.12 This sum must be paid up front. Also, The student must provide the instructor with a Hummer for the duration of the class. IF student makes a joke, said student will be thrown out of the class because humor is not DIR.

Lighten up. It was all in fun.

Jamie

Divesherpa sir,

I would like to inquire if you are available to teach a class of two the weekend of May 17th. We would be happy to pay extra for a semi-private class. BTW, have you considered posting this wonderfull oportunity over on quest?

PS, how much extra will it cost to be able to crack jokes?

Mike

There is no "DIR based". You either teach DIR and know what you are doing, or you are misleading people. Solo diving in a wet suit is not DIR, and saying "I prefer not to dive DIR" is a tip off that you can't teach DIR.

DIR is not just about wearing the proper equipment.

I would warn anybody away from "Dive sherpa". He sounds very dishonest, and it seems to me he just wants to make more money by "also teaching DIR".

Before you send someone into a cave you ought to accept some responsability for what you do and what you don't know, and not mislead them.

And please, "all in good fun" WTF is that supposed to mean? You teach cave "all in good fun?" Cave diving is far too dangerous and serious to be taken so lightly. Yes, you can have fun doing it, but you don't mislead people and then say it was in "good fun".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom