Help with go pro 3 underwater settings with red filter, Caribbean, 30-80 ft. Protune?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are too funny, this was my first attempt at filming underwater. Anyways, this was filmed with my go pro 2, have a 3 now, 1080/60, did not use protune or anything fancy. Hand held the camera with one hand, or 2, and swam very slowly. Did have the red filter on although it was only 35-45 ft. Did my editing, I spend days editing, cutting and splicing, color correction etc with the basic iMovie as is super easy. I do have final cut pro but need to take the time to learn how to use it. Thanks for your kind words as I am such the novice but hope to bring back some excellent footage from the Caribbean next week.:acclaim:

---------- Post added April 26th, 2013 at 09:56 PM ----------

Love all the advice and thanks in advance. Going to try the 720/60......better than 1080/60??? Redstang's video is great and I also loved the "natural" colors. Thanks you all for sharing and the extra SD cards is a done deal, already packed. I have the LCD screen but a pain in the bottom (hee hee) to use, well for MTB it is anyways, we shall see.
Sorry you lost 3 days of footage, that KILLS for sure, so feel your pain as it's not like you can ever get that back....tears! Hopefully I shall return with some decent footage and be able to show it off, thanks again tphelps.:banana:

---------- Post added April 26th, 2013 at 10:01 PM ----------

The Rum is back in the caribbean, you had better go and grab it!
So, why not use 720p 60fps, people are saying they are happier with those settings....seriously just curious. I know, sorry I am a dork but like to hear the "whys". Not using protune this trip as I am unfamiliar and don't want to learn the hard way if I mess it up. I know that these settings are the ones to use for post...Boy! Think I owe you that rum now, thanks for your sharing, love that!:dork2:( I am the dork) Just want to learn, thanks.

---------- Post added April 26th, 2013 at 10:07 PM ----------

Thank you for your kind words, was my first underwater video, have soooo much to learn. So, this was about 40mins south of Kona, City of Refuge. Great place for your daughter, great easy ledge to jump from...have to ask the locals or just watch where all the scuba folk go so you know where to jump in from, well at least the easier spot. Good vis, rather shallow dive, nice corals and colorful fish. There are spinner dolphins that frequent the bay all day long and it's so awesome to swim with them, bummed my battery died and so I missed filming them.
Yeah, was a gopro 2, have the 3 now. Did editing in iMovie. Have fun when you go back and this is a wonderful, popular spot, great for learners as well. Cheers.

---------- Post added April 26th, 2013 at 10:08 PM ----------

Just wanted to say that I like your, "I am a fish", funny!:happywave:

Thanks! Do you remember you settings and any other details?

View attachment 153409
This is the tray for my go pro 3 my husband made for my dive trip. Custom to fit little me. Wasn't our design, want to give the creator credit, was a video on youtube, hope it works, if not it looks cool! Several other people have made them and they say they work well as a stabilizer and very easy to construct. Wanted to share.

720p 60fps, go pro 2, have the 3 now, just hand held, red filter and editing in iMovie. Pretty easy, lucky I have a steady hand, helps. Sometimes I get my better shots when the subject comes to me vs me chasing fish all over the ocean floor but that's just me with my limited experience. Have more experience filming snowboarding and mountain biking but love the underwater stuff and want to do more.

I've just been out in the Red Sea and used a gopro 3 with a red filter for much of the time. I used 24fps and 1080 resolution and everything worked well for me. When diving deeper - 25 to 40 metres I took the filter off ( mine is a clip on filter). I transferred clips onto an IPad between dives to preview them.

Balanus

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How do you transfer clips to an iPad???

Hi All, I'm struggling to understand all the different video resolutions and frame rates. Why use one over the other? Can anyone provide a clear, simple, beginner's description of this and which settings to use in different situations? Bonus for all this explained in the context of diving and best settings for diving!

I've established my ignorance about resolution and frame rates so here are some questions for DivingPyrate:

my goto for diving coz is 2.7k protune raw with srp filter
Why? What is better about 2.7K than something else (higher or lower)?

Might play with 1030p 60 protune raw
Why might this be better than 2.7K? Why would you use 60fps?

The 2.7 layed on a 1080 line allows you reposition, crop and zoom post production
I don't understand this statement, could you please explain what laying a 2.7 on a 1080 line means?

Why is the rum always gone
Sorry, it's me; I'm the reason the rum is always gone. :cool2:

Protune, I get and it ROCKS! The first video I took with my HDHero 3 was odd looking - I couldn't put my finger on what it was other than the colors being muted. I produced a short video for a friend without significant adjustments to the color; it was OK but not spectacular. Then one day I was wondering whether I could White Balance footage on my new GP and figured out that Protune was the key! On my old GoPros I never found a good use for CineForm, I just edited my videos in iMovie like Kiwibird. With this one however my search for better video led me back to CineForm where I discovered the custom color settings (including a ProTune setting!). I'm blown away by how much better my color is!! The only drawback so far is that once I render a movie out of CineForm, I cannot bring it into iMovie for further editing; it seems that there is no CineForm codec for iMovie. If someone knows differently please let me know.

This is the tray for my go pro 3 my husband made for my dive trip. Custom to fit little me. Wasn't our design, want to give the creator credit, was a video on youtube, hope it works, if not it looks cool! Several other people have made them and they say they work well as a stabilizer and very easy to construct. Wanted to share.
Kiwibird, can you please post the link to the YouTube video showing your camera mount? I'd like to build one. Also, what's the square frame for on the front left of your camera frame?

- Daryl

Daryl, export your footage from cineform to a mov file then import that mov file into iMovie and it'll carry over your color corrections.

As for the resolutions...

2.7k gives you the ability to zoom or crop while maintaining 1080p or better resolution. There's really not a good reason to shoot 1080p/30fps over 2.7k/30fps except to save space on your card. 1080p/60fps will give you ultra smooth video but at the cost of bringing in less light. Don't use 1080p/60fps on deep dives. It would probably work well on shallow dives. I've played with 1080/60 above water and was blown away at how smooth it was.

Nice! I have the pop on and off filter as well from polar filter, easy! I take my macbook pro with me and just pop in my SD card after each dive and export right into iMovie, easy! I do all my editing here, don't use cuneiform, should I, why color correct twice?? Just curious.

---------- Post added April 27th, 2013 at 08:25 AM ----------

Hi Daryl,
The youtube was easy to find under ....underwater pvc camera mounts for go pro I think. We used it as a guide so the measurements were custom for me, not the same as on the video. went to home depot and bought what we needed, husband measured forearm to fit me for the wrist stabilizer etc. Did u see the pic I posted in an earlier post? Hope this helps.

2.7 also seems to work better in low light, i suppose due to the 30 frame rate
I do not use lights
Just a black 3 on a pole
if you look for my sneak peek thread you can see some stills from mine

I usually shoot 10800p 60 medium FoV above the surface
Less fisheye
Less rolling shutter

720 p is a great format, but If you are just doing internet
But i like to play back on a 60 1080p
So that is my minimum
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449025

sneak peek

Why is the rum always gone

So reading the above. What I am understanding is that if you use pro tune and color correct with protune setting in cineform you can not further edit in iMovie, not good as I like to do a lot of cutting, splicing, cropping and transitions, will I not be able to do this? Pardon my ignorance but haven't used cineiform, maybe u can do these things?? Seems like double work as u can custom color correct in Imovie as well, maybe it's not as good tho??? Help!!! All the options :confused:, now more questions and oh Boy's!!!
Where is the RUM!!!!

---------- Post added April 27th, 2013 at 08:34 AM ----------

This helps, like to play back 1080 60 as well. I need that RUM with all the great suggestions and comments!

---------- Post added April 27th, 2013 at 08:39 AM ----------

user-online.png

Registered
stars-1-0.gif

Leaving on Sat for Grand
Caymen, Roatan, Belize &
Cozumel .

Join DateApr 2013Locationtcurammeng@msn.comPosts17DivesI just don't log dives

attachment.php

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom