Help with go pro 3 underwater settings with red filter, Caribbean, 30-80 ft. Protune?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cineform is frankly just better at color correction than iMovie. I was able to edit color in iMovie after importing from Cineform so not sure where that came from. iMovie is ok but I wouldn't have gotten the colors I did with Cineform. I tried both. I'd like to get FCP, just have too many expensive hobbies right now lol!

2.7k will do better at depth because of the 30fps.

Kiwi, leaving today? Have fun!

Also to add that my video was shot using the SRP filter.

Daryl, export your footage from cineform to a mov file then import that mov file into iMovie and it'll carry over your color corrections.

As for the resolutions...

2.7k gives you the ability to zoom or crop while maintaining 1080p or better resolution. There's really not a good reason to shoot 1080p/30fps over 2.7k/30fps except to save space on your card. 1080p/60fps will give you ultra smooth video but at the cost of bringing in less light. Don't use 1080p/60fps on deep dives. It would probably work well on shallow dives. I've played with 1080/60 above water and was blown away at how smooth it was.

Increased frame rate does not give any smooth video unless you keep it that way and you are stable to start with
Majority of players do not use 50/60 frame rates so that becomes a waste of disk spaces in most cases
The good thing about higher frame rates is that because h264 has temporal compression it is usually better quality but this has nothing to do at all with making it smooth unless you have the ability to play it back same frame rate and there was a lot of action in it
Shake does not class as fast moving action

Last edited:
ok, all good advice, thanks, will play a bit but kinda chicken for this trip as don't want to mess up. Will play more when i get home in 10 days or so...thanks.:D

---------- Post added April 27th, 2013 at 01:37 PM ----------

what do you consider a deep dive, 80?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Maybe I'm mis-remembering my experience with MOV from Cineform to iMovie - apologize if that's incorrect. I will try it again and if I can reproduce or clarify I will post back here.

Increased frame rate does not give any smooth video unless you keep it that way and you are stable to start with
Majority of players do not use 50/60 frame rates so that becomes a waste of disk spaces in most cases
The good thing about higher frame rates is that because h264 has temporal compression it is usually better quality but this has nothing to do at all with making it smooth unless you have the ability to play it back same frame rate and there was a lot of action in it
Shake does not class as fast moving action

Agree, but 60fps does look very smooth when played at 60fps. I played with both. And in all fairness I never tied 60fps to shaky hands :). Heck, I recorded my daughter launching model rockets at 120fps in 720 and 240fps in 480. Pretty cool though for the rockets it was done so I could slow down the launch. I'll be experimenting with 1080/60 in the Turks.

ok, all good advice, thanks, will play a bit but kinda chicken for this trip as don't want to mess up. Will play more when i get home in 10 days or so...thanks.:D

---------- Post added April 27th, 2013 at 01:37 PM ----------

what do you consider a deep dive, 80?

For the purposes of the GP and what frame rate to use I'd stick with 30fps on anything over 40 feet or so. If you have exceptionally clear water and plenty of sun I suppose you could use 60fps deeper. But since we tend to use the filter as well I'd stick with 30fps. Please keep in mind that this based on limited personal experience with the GP3 and what I've seen/read of other people's experience. I'm more inclined to be cautious because we don't get to dive often. Safest bet is to stick with 2.7k/30 or 1080/30.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Maybe I'm mis-remembering my experience with MOV from Cineform to iMovie - apologize if that's incorrect. I will try it again and if I can reproduce or clarify I will post back here.

My changes only carried over if I exported the mov file from cineform and then imported that into iMovie. If I tried importing the original mov file the changes didn't carry over. Just wish cineform let you export mov files in bulk rather than one at a time.

Awaiting my Hero3 Black any day now... Curious to know how you transfered your vids from the camera to your ipad.

Jeff

[video=youtube;S52pcrkTn1s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S52pcrkTn1s[/video]

Beautiful !!!!!

I've done a few test movie, 3 in fact with my new GP3B.

All was shoot at 1080/30/protune on.

The first 1 was in blue water. Image quality is excellent, can use a red filter to improve color.

The second one was in green low viz water. Green water looks better on the computer than on the TV.

The 3rd one was a wreck penetration using only the canister light as a light source. I was amazed by the low light quality of the movie.

I'm not an expert and quite new to video but the quality of the video is amazing with no accessories and no color modification.

Last edited:
Good morning, Going to Belize, Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Roatan, can't wait as I have dove solamons, Papua New Guinea, fiji, Australia, Hawaii and lots of other places but now want to start filming, just have a go pro 3, nothing fancy but as u know underwater is soooo amazing I would love to experiment a little. Have a vid on youtube on my channel tracy curammeng that I filmed in Hawaii this Nov. Your pics are amazing!

Just watched and enjoyed your GoPro video from Belize. Been to Hugh Parkey's myself. It's a neat caye to visit. I have a couple of questions.

Did you use any extra lights?
What mount/tray/pole did you use for your GoPro?
Technique - Did you keep in mind to move extra slow to get the best shots? Or do you have some suggestions?
What was the approx depth of the shots in the video?
Did you use iMovie? If not, which software to edit?

Hi lostcajun,
I did not use any lights as i don't have any. I hand held my go pro, brought a tray but didn't use it as these dives were a little "rushed", group diving. I tried to swim slow but the current was pretty crazy, easier if I wasn't so rushed as I could then wait for the subjects to come to me. The deepest dive was 65 in this footage and 95 in the next vid I am working on. I just used iMovie, works well for what I need at this stage.
Thanks for watching and would like to see some of your footage if you have some. All just fiddling with settings and hoping you get lucky sometimes.
526.gif

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2013 at 10:13 PM ----------

Thanks for the info Valery, can't wait to see what you have! Also like to hear what works for people.

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2013 at 10:16 PM ----------

Hi Jeff,
So exciting, sure you have that new hero by now and am sure u r loving it! I transfer my footage into iMovie where I edit it. I have a macbook pro.....love it! Let's see some of your footage sometime and thanks for sharing.

---------- Post added June 2nd, 2013 at 10:18 PM ----------

Hi darylb,
I have never used Cineform, I just do all my editing in iMovie but I am not by any means an expert.

Back
Top Bottom