Help with swim with whales!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand the logic of, "I just saved you $3k of diving so you can buy more gear and practice for diving"

Misquoted!
You didn't read that right. He's East coast. Rather than book a trip south for a "big maybe" encounter with a whale, use the money to upgrade his diving skills & gear, then go by car where it's easiest to be with whales.

If the OP follows my idea, he'll save easily 3k$ in plane fare and lodging, with just half a day's worth of driving a car...

Just a thought. It is not with whales but down off the Isla Mujeres near Cancun they have huge schools of whale sharks hang around in the summer. Pretty stinking awesome. Of course in the Philippines they are now hand feeding whale sharks in some locales. I'm not sure how I feel about that one though. Post reports, I may join you in Tonga some day.

549592_10150647259606045_125700991044_9560416_769563808_n.jpg
In my case i think we have to ban the animal feeding, but not entering in that conversation we can see in this picture the ''respect'' that the people from Oslob (Cebu - Phillipines) has with the Whale Sharks.

I still think diving in the 4c salt water of Quebec the best bet to see whales and perhaps dive with them...

Les Escoumins

Scuba Diving, Les Escoumins, Packages, North Shore Stay.

* bonus * get to practice your French with the locals

Go to Niue. We have done three 'whale' seasons here and it is awesome. There is nothing in the world that compares to snorkeling with a humpback (or 5). Much quieter and less commercial than Tonga. Niue Dive are the only dive shop in town (under new management since April this year) and they take you out on a 6 person RIB. The diving is also very good with vis around the 30-40m mark.

Tonga is definitely NOT commercial yet. It'll get there but for now you cannot even fly between the outer islands! You have to always fly back to the mainland before heading to another outer island!
From what I gathered over there, the best value for money accomodation will be either the HillTop hotel or the Port of Wine Guesthouse.
Either way, try to book at least two months before. The lack of tourism infrastructure means these places get sold out really quickly!
Oh and call instead of email if you can. Things move much quicker if you do that.

Hey Scubaman, I hope I'm not too late for your reply. I just got back from Tonga last week. We spent one week in Eu'a and one week in Vava'u where most of the whale swimming takes place. The whale swims were incredible and will only get better until october. fantastic encounters with males in heat runs as well as mothers and calves.
The diving is a different issue. We did some diving in Eu'a, namely a site called The Cathedral which is an enormous underwater cave. This is more expensive (for no reason as it is not further from the harbor than anywhere else) but the site is well worth doing for its grandeur and sun shafts poking through the interior. We had about 6 giant tuna patrolling the edges of the massive cave and that was it. Not many other fish.
Diving in Vava'u was disappointing. The coral is wonderfully healthy and we spotted moray eels, sea snakes and a leaf scorpion fish however fish life is not prolific and it is well known that the region has been overfished. The exceptions mentioned above were only spotted by myself and another diver. Overall the diving is not really worth doing unless you just want to be underwater. You're better off spending the money on another whale swim and day out on the boat if you're expecting to see lots of fish life. So despite the good points I mentioned above, Tonga is NOT a scuba diving destination. There were comments by many that it was most surprising that there were no fish to see! Does not hold a candle to ribbon reefs in australia or even fiji where most tourist have stomped out a lot of the coral. The country is amazing and rustic with a beautiful and friendly people who don't ask for money. No sandy beaches and very non-commercialized. Amazing for nature lovers and for those wanting a peaceful holiday. The only complaint i have is that I could not leave my accomodation in Eu'a for 5 meters without seeing a whale breaching ;P

Back
Top Bottom