Helping A Friend, A Ccr Diver, Do's And Dont's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! I just finished reading all of these posts. FLTEKDiver (I'll skip your real name!), they've really been beating you up here and all you wanted to do was help out your friend. As you're aware, I know him also. In fact, remember in the class I told you I was against his converting a Drager given his limited experience. I guess he has proven my point.

I just think you should be commended for your genuine concern for David's safety. By the way, we didn't cover the max set point diving in your Drager course because it is not "labeled" for deco diving. For course purposes, it is taught to be used for no-deco diving at depths less than 130 fse. That having been said, the explanation above is correct;ie at a set point of 1.2 at 99fsw you are basically breathing what would be EAN 30 at the surface so you can "fudge" the nitrox computer/tables from there.

Good luck with David. By the way, I've started diving the Sport Kiss and love it. If you ever decide to get back into rebreathers, let me know!

Doug

debersole:
Wow! I just finished reading all of these posts. FLTEKDiver (I'll skip your real name!), they've really been beating you up here and all you wanted to do was help out your friend. As you're aware, I know him also. In fact, remember in the class I told you I was against his converting a Drager given his limited experience. I guess he has prov-en my point.

I just think you should be commended for your genuine concern for David's safety. By the way, we didn't cover the max set point diving in your Drager course because it is not "labeled" for deco diving. For course purposes, it is taught to be used for no-deco diving at depths less than 130 fse. That having been said, the explanation above is correct;ie at a set point of 1.2 at 99fsw you are basically breathing what would be EAN 30 at the surface so you can "fudge" the nitrox computer/tables from there.

Good luck with David. By the way, I've started diving the Sport Kiss and love it. If you ever decide to get back into re-breathers, let me know!

Doug

Hey Doug, thanks !!! It is really appreciated for you taking your time, and responding to the thread !! Wow, Sport Kiss huh!! Id love to see it, next time your going down to WPB, let me know, I'd love to dive with ya!

I did talk to David last night, and he is going with a VR3 with P connector, ( probably ) and we did talk for close to 2 hour's about everything. 2 different people, 2 different view's , But i can say i feel better after talking with him last night. He was down in Jupiter this weekend diving off his Jet-Ski, ( Friday afternoon ) , and we talked about solo diving as well, and how i felt about him doing it. Time will tell, and i expressed my concerns to him last night, expressing I felt he was just out of control .

We are going down to the Key's with a bunch of people Thanksgiving weekend for 4 day's, I'll be bringing my boat down if you would like to join us, I'd love to see that Sport Kiss In Action !!

Thanks for replying, I'll keep in touch, PM me if you like , and well chat more, thanks !!

P.S. A " few " tried to beat me up on here, but they were given nothing but fact's., truth, and I had plenty of support both on and off the form's, I think some took it as a " troll " in the begging, but then realized I was only trying to help a good friend out, and I'm glad you came on here to support David as well . Thanks again!

Glad you guys talked. PM me with details about Thanksgiving. I'll see if I can make it. It would be fun to dive with you again.

jptrealty
I have only met this person once and know his friend well. I support my friend FLTek in trying to get him to change a few of his perceptions. I feel very confident that if nothing changes that we will not be discussing helping this person but what caused his death. I hope with all the support from everyone here we can change his mind and get to a more stable and safe situation. I know he is going to continue diving as he should. I was told this evening that he will invest in a computer with real time pp02 monitoring to back up his Oxygauge. With that single upgrade he will go a long way to making his situation less like Russia roulette. Instead of an insurance policy, I would rather have a friend to dive with, from little I know of him we have similar interests just different levels of what safety factors we are willing to accept. Also I have heard people saying that there might be a problem with the Dolphin scrubber at greater depths being more prone to channeling, anyone with hard data from Drager or other sources on this?? Thanks Luke :D

Just a follow up on this thread, 6 months later, here is a link to David's home with pictures from a 02 fire, from filling his own tank's :

http://www.irishmansoftware.com/fill_your_own_tanks.htm

Schford you have been very negitive this whole post, when i was trying to help a friend out, Next time your about to start to flame somone , relize I was trying to help a friend , that had very little dives , got into mixing his own gases without taking a blending course, and the list goes on and on, the pictures don't lie here, " David " is ok, and there will be more to follow on this. When I talked with him yesturday, he said he was going to give up diving, that is the smartest thing I've heard him say since he decided to get out of the rec diving, and start down the path that HE choose.

E-Diver's has some post on this 0-2 fire as well

It is easy to flame someone over the anonymous Internet, but it takes a person of real character to apologize to FLTEKDIVER.

We all wish we had friends like FLTEK, who are more concerned for our safety than our friendship, which is the mark of a true friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom