Henry Morgan + Fantasy Dive Travel = FAIL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm new to ScubaBoard, found the site while trying to peel the layers back...thought I would share my troubles and see if anyone has advice:

In late summer 2011 I booked a trip for Feb to Henry Morgan resorts with clickndive.com I paid in full in October, and got a voucher for HM resorts and confirmation invoice from clickndive.com. Fast forward to today when I started verifying all of my reservations (flight, etc). Clickndive.com no longer exists, and they're phones are all disconnected. I called Henry Morgan only to find out they have no reservation for me. I spoke to Malali??? at the main office in Roatan, and then to Andrea at the US office. Andrea recalled working on my arrangements because I was original scheduled for the Paradise Beach club, but when HMR dropped them, they moved us to the main location.

Andrea stated, "There was an agent, Rich, who ran off with several customer's money."

Based on my limited success with clickndive.com, I assumed this mysterious person was part of that company. However, this evening I was able to track down both the VP of sales from clickndive.com, and the director of travel, Debbie, whom I had worked with to make my arrangements. They both told the same story, all trips were paid in full before the business closed it's doors. They even have proof of the payment, canceled check, etc.
Debbie said, "I sent the payment to Rich myself."

In my further investigations, I can only assume that "Rich" is Rich Henry with Fantasy Dive Travel, because Fantasy Dive Travel is (or was) the official agency for HM Resorts.

Now, I am really in a bad place here. I'm out over $2k that my credit card company won't even start the dispute process until after the dates of my trip! I'm working to make alternate arrangements, but if Clickndive.com paid FDT and has proof, then things will get even more complicated and I feel like HM Resorts owes me the original reservation.

Any advice? Anyone heard similar? I've seen some posts on here directed to Rich, but nothing that seems to accuse him of stealing from customers.

There have been some discussions in the Bay Islands forum about somewhat similar experiences. Keep the pressure on your credit card bank. Q: did you take any trip insurance that may help?

No trip insurance, credit card company won't start a dispute until AFTER the trip dates. I suppose that is for people who are trying to cancel a trip and get a full refund?

Oh, you are new here. Welcome to SB. I'll ask that this be moved to Bay Islands forum where some may want to offer suggestions.

good luck

Henry Morgue-an

why why why do people use travel agents? especially for Roatan.
. Well, I shopped around for a good inclusive package. Often the resorts don't offer a full package.

In light if my current problems, I'm leaning towards reef house, already talked to Mike directly.

. Well, I shopped around for a good inclusive package. Often the resorts don't offer a full package.

Actual "resorts", meaning "dive resorts" ? They all have all inclusive (AI) packages.

Some properties are real dive resorts, others a guest houses that have contracts with day-dive ops that will arrange for pick-up, either at the pier or by cab. Be careful in selecting what you want, you may or may not get it.

The AI's that are on top of the game are Anthony Key (AKR), Barefoot Key (BFK), CoCoView (CCV) and Reef House Resort (RHR). There are a few other AI's out there that employ day-dive ops, others will chime in- many lack consistency or functional availability.

Understand that some "resorts" are actually guest houses that don't look at hooking you up with the right dive-op as their top priority. I think a great deal can be learned from the resort's website and looking with great care at how they showcase their resident dive-op with photographs. You'll see the better possibilities are quite proud to display what they offer- others do not. Caveat emptor.

Roatan Charter Link-> Welcome to Roatan Charter : Honduras and Belize Travel Wholesalers since 1981 provides turn-key vacation packages geared to the diver. It is a US based operation with a superb history and track record booking most any of the dive resorts on Roatan and the Bay Islands. As familiar as I am with the drill, I use them every time. No muss, no guessing, no surprises.

In light if my current problems, I'm leaning towards reef house, already talked to Mike directly.

Mike will treat you right.

Doc,
Do you not include Fantasy Island in the list of AI's? Do you know what the current situation is with them?

FI is an AI, if that was your question.

I believe they are operational, and my friends that return from visits to CCV (just across the channel) see the dive boat out once or twice during any given week. This might be for their cruise ship days, I don't know.

We seem to go through these questions in phases every few years. I want nothing more than to see Roatan businesses prosper, but whoever owns FI at any given point seems to always have the shotgun pointed at their feet. They have survived through it all by offering incredible deals on weeklong packages. Just be absolutely certain that you confirm exactly what is included- don't be surprised. The best feature of the dive-op has always been the DMs. They spend most of their effort trying to make it work- almost always impressing their guests.

I would rather pay the money and go to an AI that has a consistent proven track record. My vacation time is worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom