Herd Immunity in Indonesia

Would you travel to Indonesia after they have accomplished herd immunity?

• Yes

Votes: 23 37.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 62.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t understand this assertion. Can you show data where overbearing restrictions are causing more deaths?
The disjointed and scatter shot approach to Covid in the US has resulted in 200,000 deaths. What could be more devastating than that? Covid 19 is the third leading cause of death in the US. It is beating out strokes, diabetes, accidents, influenza.... a whole bunch of stuff we spend billions and billions to fight. If you are going say the restrictions are causing more deaths than the disease, you need to show it....

C-T, I'm not looking to start or win an argument here, nor do I wish to turn this into some social science research posts. I'm just stating the obvious in regards to the overlooked consequences of overbearing covid restrictions. Multiple charities & organisations exist to support a vast range of illnesses & conditions that kill millions every year, all these conditions didn't magically disappear when covid came. If many hospitals and health services were underfunded before covid, can you imagine how economically devastated they are now? Not to mention the amount of people that have died from not being able to get medical help

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200528-why-most-covid-19-deaths-wont-be-from-the-virus

I wish there were a way to put all those who say "covid is a hoax" or "you can't make me wear a mask" at the bottom of the priority list for an immunization when they become available. Seems only fair.
While I understand where you are coming from, I strongly disagree with your statement. It is childish and spiteful. Following your logic, treatment of obese people should be placed on a back burner because “they did it to themself”, athletes with their used up joints, smokers, trauma patients...
Once someone gets sick they must be treated fairly and equally.
As far as the vaccine, I don’t think you will have to worry about “non-maskers” and “hoaxers”, as , I suspect, they will not be getting in line to be vaccinated either. On a recent survey in the US, up to 50% stated they will not take a vaccine once it is available...

While I understand where you are coming from, I strongly disagree with your statement. It is childish and spiteful. Following your logic, treatment of obese people should be placed on a back burner because “they did it to themself”, athletes with their used up joints, smokers, trauma patients...
Once someone gets sick they must be treated fairly and equally.
As far as the vaccine, I don’t think you will have to worry about “non-maskers” and “hoaxers”, as , I suspect, they will not be getting in line to be vaccinated either. On a recent survey in the US, up to 50% stated they will not take a vaccine once it is available...
Bad analogy; yes, they are doing it to themselves, but they are also affecting and possibly infecting others. They have the right to be stupid and die early, but they do not have the right to inflict that upon others. They are being selfish and self-centered, not brave and courageous

I have never claimed anything about Polio globally. That post very clearly references "in my country". Your link needs discussion to clarify whatever point you were making, given it wasn't countering any point I made. A student, maybe a decade ago, came to or returned to Australia with Polio and it was a major event. Otherwise it was declared eradicated quite some years prior. Other countries are at different stages in their journey, I'm not suggesting any sort of domineering approach to them.

You mean it still exists only in 2 research labs? There is no evidence that the smallpox virus still exists in the natural environment, while on the contrary polio virus is endemic to certains countries.

No, I explicitly meant it still exists, any context you add is for your point and not mine. I was only aware of one lab, and the security quite serious. Which might indicate some major concern should it get out, thus would be some evidence that it not only exists, but that its existence carries high risk.

.............snip...............>90% of covid deaths are elderly people with co-morbidities, yet we have the military, police in riot gear treating normal people like dangerous criminals in the street........snip..........

Where is this? Victoria? For starters, the military are not treating anyone like dangerous criminals, is there one single example of that? Secondly, when are riot police ever used against dangerous criminals? Perhaps in a jail riot, but the key link between riot police and jail riot here is 'riot' rather than 'dangerous criminal'. Tactical response police are the dangerous criminal group. Riot gear is used by police for dealing with crowds, to protect officers when things get violent. If nothing happens then nothing happens, if the crowd do not disperse then additional measures like tear gas and batons are used.

There were some protests in Melbourne that were dispersed and fines handed out, that is not an example of people being treated like dangerous criminals. That point noted, they were being treated like they were dangerous (given the community infection rate in Melbourne) and they were breaking the law (which is the very definition of criminal behaviour); but no one got clubbed or shot or gassed from the footage I saw.

The three teenagers that visited Melbourne, contracted the virus and returned to Brisbane, lying to skip quarantine, then whilst symptomatic went to work and to a restaurant. One of the adjacent diners in that restaurant then caught the virus and that person's spouse worked in aged care. You cannot protect the vulnerable if people are blatantly irresponsible. As such the recent Ipswich Hospital infections, Qld Health put restrictions on 200 health workers. The media reported it as quarantine but actually they required hospital staff to travel nowhere other than home and work. The Logan and Wacol clusters meant there was a measurable risk of a health worker being infected in the community and bring it to work, infecting staff and vulnerable patients.

Exactly what is your plan to protect the vulnerable in a community outbreak scenario? If they all die, is that okay? My parents are high risk, my remaining grandparents are very high risk, I'm seriously not okay with how flippant you are about their mortality, the exposure of which is entirely needless. Indonesia is having a massively difficult task with this, they have few of the resources we are taking for granted.

This pandemic is unprecedented, for us only, this generation, in our wealthy western countries. History has much written about far more challenging times than this, but for some reason that is used to justify this being unnecessary rather than this being entirely manageable. The boomers are maligned for many things but they have lived through challenging times, and their parents lived through massively challenging times, we are the snowflakes here. I'm not convinced by the argument that a decadent society no longer needs to be civilised.

Scientists call for Covid herd immunity strategy for young

An international group of scientists has called on governments to overturn their coronavirus strategies and allow young and healthy people to return to normal life while protecting the most vulnerable.

World Health Organisation special adviser David Nabarro, Harvard University epidemiologist Martin Kulldorff and Stanford Medicine professor of medicine and epidemiology John Ioannidis are some of the hundreds of international health experts now condemning lockdowns.

They warn of the diabolical "collateral damage" to the 99 per cent of people for whom COVID-19 is a very mild illness.

Harvard's Kulldorff is one of many infectious disease experts who have signed the Great Barrington Declaration, which warns that "excess" deaths will ultimately be higher under lockdowns and instead calls for policies that better protect the vulnerable.

I really hope people & governments start paying attention to the science. People should not be made to feel guilty to want to dive in Indonesia...save your guilt trips for yourself

I really hope people & governments start paying attention to the science. People should not be made to feel guilty to want to dive in Indonesia...save your guilt trips for yourself
I do hope that in my home country they do not listen to this crap but to proper scientists. You cannot protect the vulnerable only.

Scientists call for Covid herd immunity strategy for young

An international group of scientists has called on governments to overturn their coronavirus strategies and allow young and healthy people to return to normal life while protecting the most vulnerable.

World Health Organisation special adviser David Nabarro, Harvard University epidemiologist Martin Kulldorff and Stanford Medicine professor of medicine and epidemiology John Ioannidis are some of the hundreds of international health experts now condemning lockdowns.

They warn of the diabolical "collateral damage" to the 99 per cent of people for whom COVID-19 is a very mild illness.

Harvard's Kulldorff is one of many infectious disease experts who have signed the Great Barrington Declaration, which warns that "excess" deaths will ultimately be higher under lockdowns and instead calls for policies that better protect the vulnerable.

Haven't all these been tried (and failed) in Sweden? Imagine similar policies in less organized countries such as Indonesia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom