• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Herd Immunity in Indonesia

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by SeaWarden, Sep 10, 2020.

Would you travel to Indonesia after they have accomplished herd immunity?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    37.7%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    62.3%
  1. ontdiver

ontdiver Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Breath in, breath out. We will get there eventually.

2. drk5036

drk5036 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Right. You can GUARANTEE on Nov 1 our Executive branch is going to announce mass deployment of whatever vaccine happens to be furthest along at that point, regardless of safety or efficacy.

Lewis88 and lexvil like this.
  3. scrane

scrane Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I may be ignorant on this matter, but isn't the flu shot a vaccine?

4. scrane

scrane Manta Ray

I am anxious to get the Covid vaccine. I will not be the first in line, but I won't be far behind as long as it has more than the DJT seal of approval. I am old and reluctant to kiss away more than a year of what's left to me.

5. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Solo Diver

Herd immunity does not make the virus go away. It just means the virus is in the herd and it doesn't both them.
    You travel to the herd, you get sick. The herd laughs at you for getting sick. Of course you are going to get the virus, you are traveling to a place that has a herd full of it.

Now off onto my tangent. The whole flattening the curve was never about preventing you from getting it. It was only to take the peak down a little. The total area under the curve, the total number infected, was still the same. Somehow we suddenly listened and went too far and have flattened the curve from a few months of something really bad into a year(ish) of something bad.

EdC, BRT, Landau and 1 other person like this.
  6. scrane

scrane Manta Ray

I thought that herd immunity meant that enough of the population had antibodies and disrupted the transmission matrix.

RayfromTX, tridacna and lexvil like this.
  7. Brett Hatch

Brett Hatch ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    You're both right, sort of. @broncobowsher is correctly describing the mechanism by which herd immunity works, but not quite right on the effect of it, which is well-characterized by @scrane

Quick 3-min video on this one. It's from 2017, so of course the political climate regarding herd immunity has changed a lot, but the science has not:

drk5036 likes this.
  8. SeaWarden

SeaWarden Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    It is honestly very insane to think about that thought. But based on the trajectory that Indonesia is heading in, it is very sad.

Some context: We have tried to bring covid 19 pcr testing to Indonesia without any luck. It's a mixture of politics, unknown regulation, change in regulation and price restrictions on testing.

*Volunteered in a covid-19 lab during the peak in Singapore.

9. Indah

Indah Manta Ray

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    The flu shot is a vaccine: Influenza vaccines, also known as flu shots or flu jabs, are vaccines that protect against infection by influenza viruses. New versions of the vaccines are developed twice a year, as the influenza virus rapidly changes.

kelemvor and shoredivr like this.
  10. Indah

Indah Manta Ray

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    He does not mention people who might have immunity for yet unknown reasons or because they have been infected.