Info Here’s what happens if your US return test is positive. A second hand account.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the pre-flight testing is NOT required to exit then I certainly would not be bothered as long as my destination country does not require one.

Can’t wait until USA do away with this Antigen test.

I have done 11 overseas trips in the last 18 months and always got negative results. Overall I have been PCR tested about 11 times before going overseas too and never contracted Covid-19 while in overseas or at home (knock on wood). I have been Covid vaccinated twice (Moderna) and had Covid vaccine booster twice (Pfizer). Statistically I might eventually get it. At least I have travel insurance with Covid rider.

I wouldn't know... What I would know is that I would need to quarantine for who knows how long. The requirement to quarantine has nothing to do with if you actually have COVID or not. The requirement is entirely about whether the test shows pos or neg. I am double vaxed with double boosters. I've been back a week now and don't have COVID and never did as far as I know. Basically 95 percent of the people on the plane and in the airports were not wearing masks. The plane from Miami back to Seattle was full and my guess is that none of those people took tests prior to flying to make sure they were negative in order to protect others. All I did was to make the decision to not be tested prior to returning home...whichis basically the same as anyone who chooses to not test prior to going out into the public.
I can't tell you how much I agree with you. I cannot understand people that want to follow the regulations to a T regardless of how stupid they are.

@Dan , from what I recall you saying, you generally take precautions on your trips, such as masking where it makes sense. And you have been doing liveaboards, where pre-boarding testing is often required. If no one in your liveaboard bubble is infected, all of you are safe for the whole trip, everyone (at least until recently) masks up for the trip back, and you're home safe. In contrast, although I'm triple-vaxed and generally careful, on this one recent trip I let my guard down by mingling, sometimes unmasked, with people of unknown vaccination status and safety record, and I paid the price. I think if one does as you have been doing, the probability of catching it is lower. Nevertheless, with masking no longer required on some flights and in some places, and with the newer variants being more contagious than those that were around on your earlier trips, your probability may be increasing (which is a nicer way of saying "your luck may run out"). Stay cautious, my friend. :)

On the subject of reentering the USA while still testing positive 1 day prior to return, here is my current experience in Fiji only.

I arrived in Fiji 5 days ago to my resort on the island of Taveuni. When I boarded my flight, I had a scratchy throat. By the time I got through with 20 hours of travel and layovers and got to the resort, my throat was quite sore. Fiji policy requires every visitor to pre-schedule and pre-pay for a post arrival COVID test to be conducted between 48-72 hours after touch down. Given how I was feeling and the fact that I am going to spend 17 days in close proximity with 13 of my good friends diving and dining together daily, I chose to pull out a self test from my bag once I got to my room and got unpacked. Surprise... I tested positive. I let my friends know and asked them to have one of the owners come by to discuss next steps, while I stayed in my room. They came and did another test with their kit to validate my test. It also was positive.

I am finishing up my 5th day of isolation and quarantine today and will resume activities tomorrow with the rest of my group (our group is the only one's at this resort- we have it completely rented out). I have no more symptoms and the sore throat went away 2 days ago.
I will be masked up at all times and keep safe distance for everyone else's sake, but otherwise will dive daily, etc..

Since it is entirely possible and probable to continue to test postive for 10 days or more, after the initial positive, I will continue to test periodically throughout the remaining 12 days. Should I still test positive the day prior to departure, they have arranged for me to go to a doctor for an exam. As long as I have no symptoms and he deems me healthy, he will issue a certificate that I am "safe to fly" which will be accepted by Fiji Airways and allow me to board my flight and get back home.

I will follow up and let everyone know how this all plays out, but that is where I am at currently.
Expect the normal full Trailboss Trip Report down the line in the appropriate forum.

Like @Dan - I have been traveling quite a bit the last 2 years with 2 trips to dive in Florida, 3 to Cozumel, the Bahamas, the Red Sea for a month, 2 weeks in Bonaire. Never so much as a cough in all that time-- fully vaxed and boosted and it finally caught up with at an inconvenient time.

So, if in that quarantine situation where you are NOT infected, it seems like you should test daily so you get the earliest possible alert of infection, so your quarantine period can start as soon as possible.
ADDED: that last word "quarantine" should be "isolation."
Bonaire defines the two terms this way: if you are infected, you go into "isolation." If you are exposed but asymptomatic and test negative, you monitor for 10 days. So there is no more quarantine, as of May 16, only isolation or monitoring.

I will follow up and let everyone know how this all plays out, but that is where I am at currently.
Expect the normal full Trailboss Trip Report down the line in the appropriate forum.
Get well soon and enjoy the dive.
Any bull and tiger shark so far?

You can order more free ones, now. We just ordered 8.

Get well soon and enjoy the dive.
Any bull and tiger shark so far?
No- reports from friends of white and black tip reef sharks on most dives.
I get in the water for the first time tomorrow. 3 dives scheduled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom