Hey, that "Top of the world, Ma!" guy is coming to town

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Downing

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Per the latest issue of Undercurrent:

Leonardo DiCaprio's New Eco-Resort in Belize

The actor and avid environmentalist first visited Belize in 2005 for a dive trip and fell in love. Now he plans to build an eco-conscious resort on Blackadore Caye, a 104-acre island that's a 15-minute boat ride from San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. DiCaprio is partnering with a New York real estate firm to build 68 guest villas and 48 private houses. Besides setting aside 45 percent of the island for conservation, DiCaprio wants to support a manatee conservation area, replant mangroves, and build an artificial reef to slow erosion. Hotel room prices haven't been announced, but the private homes' price tags range from $5 million to $15 million.

I just hope this doesn't turn into another one of those boom and bust projects that litter the entire country. Roads put in, foundations poured, a few walls go up and oops, the head guy gets indicted for fraud in someplace like Italy or Greece and everything grinds to a halt. And then sits there, like modern day Mayan ruins but without the charm or sense of history.

Its out on an island by itself. If it busted, it would be more like Caye Chapel. It is off the west coast of Ambergris. I'm not sure where you could go on AC to even be able to see it. Maybe the "secret beach" at Grand Belizean Estates? I have seen the Island while going north to a friend's island that is just North of Blackador Caye.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom