Hi Everyone. Do you keep a hand written dive log?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I talked about the instructor at the shop, I found out his personality is like that, and he is just that way even w/ other instructors. He knows his stuff and well, he is who he is. Can't change him, just need to take him as he is and move forward. I will tell you tho, It kinda ruined that dive for me. I really want to dive and got into it meet people and really have fun. I have little experience and want to learn. Luckily once I get into a hobby, I usually get absorbed into it. Right now I actually created a working dive log in excel and I read a post here where he prints a blank sheet from his program and fills in the blanks when he takes his course work, etc. That's a great idea! Now I need to find the right size blank paper...hahaha

Thanks. I really do appreciate the help. I'm goona see if I can print a blank log from the program and I just might start using that. I already set that up where it shows my standard equipment and what suit / weights I use. I actually need to get a wetsuit.

Personal preference. I like my written log, so I keep it current. There are enough divers who've never logged a dive that you're not going to have a problem with "documentation" unless you want to take a class that requires a minumum number of dives and even then the printed log will be fine.

I have a Suunto Cobra 2 computer. Can I just print the logs out and add stuff to it

You can do whatever you like with it - a log is for your own personal reference above anything else.

or do dive resorts and shops want to see signatures, etc?

Never seen anywhere that does. If they're so backward as to not take a (more accurate) computer printout and demand a less detailed and easily forged signed handwritten then go to an operator that has at least entered the 20th century if not the 21st instead.

Is it necessary to have a written dive log for the courses only so the instructors/masters can sign off? What about when I go to Cozumel, Bonaire, etc?

Nope. Nowhere requires a handwritten log for anything.

I have kept a handwritten log since I started diving 10 years ago just because it's interesting to look back at.

my computer allows adding notes to each dive so I have an electronic log that is printable, but that is once I get home. putting the dive in a hand written log has a few advantages. it gives you a chance to reflect on your dive and analyze it because you are having to recount the events. writing conditions, buddies, time, encounters, etc. allows you to see how much air you used, what time of year you should or shouldn't go to a spot, and allows you to critique you dive while fresh in your mind and so on. really a good way to spend surface intervals off-gassing. at the end of the trip, you can have the instructor sign off and have that dive count towards a cert.

in the end, it is your decision, but ask yourself, what would it hurt? if you just don't want to take the time, thats your decision but you never know when you might need the information later and you might wish you had it, as you never know when your computer may crash or data may be erased. also, what will you do when you switch dive computers and possibly software for different manufacturers. while sitting there talking about the dive with buddies and telling your stories, it takes basically no effort to jot it all down. try it, it can be fun

I have only got written logs for my first 15 dives, the other 125 or so are all on computer, and I download them every so often. I don't particularly care about what wetsuit I dove, or how much weight, as I only ever dive in 2 types of water, above 24degrees C (3/2mm wetsuit or less - no weight) or below 3 degrees (7/5mm semi dry - 8lbs of weight). I have missed 2 dives in terms of logging, due to my computer being set to a very high sample rate, and logging less dives than expected, but meh, I'm not really looking to go pro or anything.

It's for me only, most recent dive, number of dives, max depth etc are all there on my computer, faster to access than looking through books of 50 dives...
Z...

In the 1970's I drew diagrams of where things were in a quarry, features of a shipwreck, nature things, etc. I found this useful, and continue to keep a spiral notebook log. Some entries include sketches. My dive computer can't do that.

I don't keep a written log. I keep a line item log in excel. Major points of entry:

Date, Site, Goals (e.g. go see stuff, go practice, go lift an anchor, etc.), Maximum Depth, Bottom Mix, Average Depth, Bottom Time, Ascent Profile/Gases, Prior SIT, Minimum Temperature, Conditions (e.g. heavy current) and SAC Rate. Finally I have a notes column in which I'll list other points of interest (generally in the form of deviations from the norm).

Back
Top Bottom